+ Reply to Thread

Default Can I lay mortared thin brick over a structurally sound concrete driveway?

Hi there, I have a concrete driveway that is 25 years old. There are a few cracks in it but it is generally structurally sound. I wanted to know if I could lay thin bricks (mortared and I believe 1 1/4 inches thick) over the concrete for purely decorative purposes. There is a slight slope in the driveway as it goes up to the parking spots.
    Is the worst that could happen that the bricks would crack in places?
    I've looked into pavers but one contractor told me that they would end up moving after a few years because it is a high traffic area and they are on sand. Other paver contractors did not see it that way but I'm not sure if they just want the business.
    I am also not fond of the idea of stamping because it has to be resealed every 5 years. I want something that is low maintenance and pretty and will go with my 1915 craftsman. FYI I am in Los Angeles so freezing is not an issue-there are some heavy rains some seasons but that is about it!
    Any advice?
    thank you!

Default Re: Can I lay mortared thin brick over a structurally sound concrete driveway?

hard to say, tiles on a driveway sounds like a can of worms. they arent designed to handle heavy weight such as vehicles on them. its more common to use that type of tile on walls. its becoming more common for tilt slab construction where a brick veneer finish is desired however the tile is set in place when the concrete is placed in the forms

i would just go with sealing the concrete, even though its every 5 years its a pretty easy job. its nothing more than a latex modified sealant that you roll on
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Default Re: Can I lay mortared thin brick over a structurally sound concrete driveway?

You can install thin bricks over the concrete, but if done incorrectly, they will crack too. Pavers will be a better choice, and there are ways to keep them from moving.

What DJ said plus;

Properly edged, pavers will not move when set over old concrete like yours.