+ Reply to Thread

Question clogged main drain line

What can I do to eliminate blockage in the main drain line? I have a two story home with 2 bathrooms upstairs and a half bath downstairs. A few days ago, I flushed the downstairs bathroom before I went to bed with no solids, and in the morning,we witnessed an inch of water on the floor, but very low level of water in the toilet. It appeared that the tank lever did not close and the water kept running into the toilet bowl. But how did the drain line get clogged up, and then somehow opened before we came down? Sometimes, we experience clog-up with just shower running or washer draining. Could there be a fault in the sewer line connecting the houses on the street? The street is slightly sloped.

Default Re: clogged main drain line

While it's hard to pinpoint your problem with the info you provided, I would start by snaking the line (whole house), from every drain to the main.

After you do this, see if you have additional problems.

Quote Originally Posted by ekacan View Post
    What can I do to eliminate blockage in the main drain line? I have a two story home with 2 bathrooms upstairs and a half bath downstairs. A few days ago, I flushed the downstairs bathroom before I went to bed with no solids, and in the morning,we witnessed an inch of water on the floor, but very low level of water in the toilet. It appeared that the tank lever did not close and the water kept running into the toilet bowl. But how did the drain line get clogged up, and then somehow opened before we came down? Sometimes, we experience clog-up with just shower running or washer draining. Could there be a fault in the sewer line connecting the houses on the street? The street is slightly sloped.
    I suggest you contact a plumber that can *scope* your main waste line from the inside of the home to the street. The *scope* is a camera the plumber snakes down the line to allow them to see if it's simply a blockage or if there is an actual problem with the line. This way you can see the condition of the main line --- signs of broken , collapsed , shifted lines , open connections allowing tree roots or you may simply just have a blockage.
    For around $250 this should include having the line scoped and augured --- in my opinion it's a good way to go for peace of mind.

If that lower toilet tank constantly empties then you have two issues. In which case the toilet constantly running may require replacing the flapper or adjusting the flapper mechanism ( chain or rod ).

I suspect if you woke up to find water on the floor and a low level in the bowl ---- that's likely from a blockage. Once you flushed the toilet and there is a blockage --- preventing the bowl to empty --- while at the same time the tank is filling the bowl ---- the bowl overflowed spilling over onto the floor.

The blockage is probably enough to allow a trickle of water through but large enough to block a large amount of liquid being discharged rapidly --- like the toilet or the washing machine.
    Over the course of time ( say overnight ) the water from the toilet eventually drained --- lowering the water level in the bowl.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Wink Re: clogged main drain line

I purchased some Bacterial Drain and Trap cleaner ($9 bucks at Lowes). It's safe to use in the toilet, non-toxic, just takes time to work. You mix up the granules with warm water, pour it in the toilet and flush once. Then let it sit at least 8 hours. I used it in both bathrooms at my house and everything is draining much better. Our maintenance guy at work used it on a drain that was almost completely blocked. I'd try this first before spending $250+ on a plumber.

Sure , you could try the $9 drain cleaner and if you claim it works for you that's great.
    Drain cleaners really only work to break down hair accumulation and bio-crud from sink traps. In my opinion they shouldn't be considered a serious method of resolving major blockages --- besides if you have tree roots issues being the cause of a blockage the $9 drain cleaner won't be much help.
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush