+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dishwasher

Default Dishwasher

Don't know if I'm in the right spot or not but here goes. Our Kitchenaid dishwasher is not draining all the water out after it cycles. It leaves about 1/2 to an 1 inch on the bottom. Any ideas??

Default Re: Dishwasher

Check the drain hose. Be sure it's not kinked or clogged.

John

Sten,

Besides what John is suggesting, check these:

- Your dishwasher drain line goes to an airgap, mounted on the sink. make sure its free of garbage, leftovers, etc.
    - then it continues to the garbage disposer. Make sure this line is free too.

You have to remember that the dishwasher drain goes from floor level up to countertop level, and you can expect some water to remain at the bottom of the unit, after it stops. It looks to me that your dishwasher is OK.

Your dishwasher has a problem. The pump is located in the bottom of the unit, just above the floor. When it has pumped out all the water from the basin, it draws air, which it cannot pump. So. essentially, when the pump shuts off, the hose from the pump to the airgap is full of water. Now this water is draining back into your basin.

There should be a check valve (one way valve) at the pump inlet (or outlet) to keep this from happening. The problem is that some water from each previous cycle is contaminating the next cycle. That mans that your dishes may not be getting a good rinse. You could run a rinse and hold after each wash cycle until you either get this one repaired or get a new dishwasher.

There must've been something clogging the flow of the water. Try drying out your dishwasher first and check before using it again.

Make sure that the drain hose makes a loop.

Default Re: Dishwasher Drain

I am having the same problem with a basic GE model.
    Is the drain located next to the center water spray ? Can I pry loose the cover and check for clogs?
    I ran a complete cycle and about 2 inches of water was left standing as before, but with no leaks. It cannot be clogged if a complete cycle is run and only 2 inches of water is left in the dishwasher basin.
    Suggestions?

Sten, what did you find out about your dishwasher?

Russel, run your dishwasher and see if water is draining on each cycle. If it is, I doubt you have a clog. If you can control the cycle, that is you have a dial instead of an electronic control, let the dishwasher fill, then move to the end of the cycle and listen for the pump. When the water stops gurgling through the drain but the pump is still working, open the dishwasher and see if there is any water in the bottom. If there is no water , but water starts filling the bottom after a few seconds, then the check valve is bad.

On the electronic models, you can do something similar, you just have to wait until the dishwasher decides to empty itself.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you guys with a response, I forgot all about the post and only remembered when I saw it again. The hose was kinked which was kind of strange since it has been working fine for some 10 years, anyway it's working now and I appreciate the responses. I ran it through a cycle and felt the drain hose was getting warm, so I knew some water was getting through. Thanks
    Last edited by Sten; 09-18-2011 at 12:33 AM. Reason: more info