+ Reply to Thread

Default Rain Caps On Venting Pipes

I have 3 vent pipes/collars that leak. I know they are do for new silicone. The height and pitch of the roof means no way am I going up there. I also have some leaky elbows on these vent pipes in the attic. Would it be easier to just put some type of rain cap on them when I have them do the collars? Or does it effect the venting?

Thanks.

Default Re: Rain Caps On Venting Pipes

Plumbing vents do not require caps, as the joins SHOULD be sealed from the ground to the top of the vent. Tight, leak-proof joints are a must so that sewer gases can't escape into living space, not only for odor reason, but also noxious gasses.

If the joints in the pipes are leaking, then they need to be repaired properly. As for the roof flashings around the vents, you don't have to change the flashings, you can simply purchase new rubber rings. The rings slide down over the vent and over the existing rubber of the flashing. It's as easy as that. If and when you have the roof replaced, then the vent flashings should also be replaced regardless of the additional ring you install to cure your current problem.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks for the reply, I guess I will do the elbows in the attic first. Any idea how much I should expect to pay to have these rubber rings replaced? I live in NJ and it is a old Colonial.

Hard to say, probably between $150 and $250 just because the roofer will have at least 2 hours, maybe more into it by the time they visit to assess the problem, go for parts, then return and install them. I'd call around to a few shops and ask. If you can be as accurate in your description as possible, then they should be able to phone quote you fairly accurately.

And before you go poking around in the attic, are you sure that the joints of the vent are leaking or is water running down the vent from above the damaged seal in the roof flashing? I'm willing to bet that the water source is from the flashings, not leaking joints. Vents are not usually "wet", they are above the waste carrying portion of the line, the most they get is a little condensation.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!