+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Repainting Metal Kitchen Cabinets

My husband and I recently purchased a 1926 bungalow and are planning to renovate the kitchen. We would like to keep the metal cabinets. Can you give advice and instructions on repainting them?

Default Re: Repainting Metal Kitchen Cabinets

Metal cabinetts were popular in decades past. St. Charles Kitchens was a major manufacturer of them.

You might want to look into professional re-finishing from a company using electrostatic spray equipment. I have seen metal office furniture and commercial bathroom stalls be sprayed in place with almost no overspray. The surface is electrostatic- ally charged and the paint, which has the opposite charge, is attracted to it.

In any event, spraying with an oil based enamel will give you the best results.

I'd recommend professional painting too. There are tons of "retro" websites which have ideas for metal cabinets, though more geared for mid-century than 20's houses. Good Luck!

Electrostatic would be your best option, a good refinishing company using an epoxy based primer/paint that is sprayed, will be your 2nd longest lasting option. anyway, be prepared to pay some good $$ to get it done correctly

patrick

resurface spe******t of cape cod

The electrostatic option is out of our budget for this house. I have checked with an auto body shop that paints steel doors. They would paint and seal them for what seems like a reasonable price. I will have to ask what type of paint they use before we make our final decision.

Automotive enamels would work fine for your purpose.A finish that will hold up to the outside environment with its hot sun, freezing cold, rain, road salt, etc. will certainly do well in your kitchen. Automotive finishes can also easily be dulled down to a more suitable gloss if desired.

We just picked up our metal cabinets from the auto body shop. They look great! Thanks for all your advice.

Did you go with a nice shine ??

In our former Calif modern house, we partially added St. Charles Stainless Steel cabinets, a tall one on the counter as an appliance garage (coffee, toaster, etc.) and 2 "normal" size ones -- about $6K of shinny metal for the 3 (delivered & installed). We had laiminate cabinets which were still the majority, and an adventurist painter was willing to tackle re-painting which included sanding the laminate for paint ahesion, oil based paint mixed with a flow additive, etc.

With your original style, repainting the cabinets is the best way. I think the original construction (including my modern laminates) were low-cost, high utility design approaches. Ironically, if re-done today, with decent materials, it would be an end & expensive project.

Yes, they do have a nice shine. We are very pleased with how they turned out. We are going with a glass back splash and a laminate counter top that also has some shine to it. I think it will brighten up the space when it is all finished.

Yes you can use metal cabinet.If you buy new cabinets then setting up these units starts by preparing the areas first. After the old models are out, fix every factor of the places that will not be properly secured by new models. This stage is best done when there are no models on the places, because doing this after your new models are set up is quite complicated. Then, you have to consider how excellent you want to set up the having models, calculated from the end cupboard.