+ Reply to Thread

Default Need advice on roof tile salvage

Hi guys and gals.....

Next month, my roof is going to be changed. I plan to salvage as many of the concrete tiles as I can without getting in the way of the work crew. I am looking for any suggestions on the best way to get the tiles down safely. I will share what I'm planning for now, but maybe someone has a better way.

I will build a make-shift chute out of some scrap wood and it will go from roof's edge to a small platform that stands about 30 inches off the ground. The reason for that is that it will most likely be mom and/or dad helping me and I don't want them to have to bend to the ground to pick the tiles up.
    peace,
    Sophie

Default Re: Need advice on roof tile salvage

Hi sophie,

The best way to get concrete tiles off a roof and on a pallet is to use a conveyer. Roofing supply companies have them. You can't just toss them off the roof if you want to save them.

It is a labor intensive process and may not be suitable for mom or dad. A shoot may not be able to catch them and they will likely end up on the ground in pieces.

Resurrecting an older thread..............

Ahhhh come on DJ....have a little more confidence in me!!! I did what I had planned and it worked. After all was said and done, 2 tiles were broken across 3 days of sending them down my home made chute. Not bad, eh?!

I used one half of an old wooden extension ladder that a neighbor had given me when he moved. I had some paneling that I had removed from my bathroom. I cut the paneling to fit inside the ladder and spliced the pieces together from underneath so that the splices caught on the ladder rungs and the whole section of paneling would not slide off once the ladder was in place. I built this little "box" that fit over my miter saw stand, sort of like a shoe box cover fits on a shoe box. We put an old cushion on it and it was ready to go. My mom helped me on the first day and I paid a neighbor for his help on days 2 & 3. All in all, I salvaged 1200 field tiles, all my edge pieces, and all the ridge caps I could get off without breaking.

Here are a couple photos of my home made tile chute.

The top:

The bottom:

And here is a link to a short video of the chute in action. Sorry for the mediocre quality. I simply used my point & shoot digital camera to shoot this little video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PztOTTQAWkQ
    peace,
    Sophie

Hey Sophie, long time no see,

Congratulations for breaking only 2 tiles!

Well, when you have a good tile catcher...you can win the world series.

Sometimes you just gotta be creative.......

Cant say Ive ever seen that type of construction with the sleepers on the roof for tile installation......There should be good air flow with that type of Construction though.....

Nice job Sophie........Keep us posted with updates.............
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content