+ Reply to Thread

Default Insufficient Hot Water

I have a 40 gal natural gas hot water heater this is almost 10 years old, and have had no problems with it since I purchased the home 4 years ago. Just recently, my fiance has been complaining because there is no hot water for her shower, while my shower, usually taken 1/2 hour earlier on workdays, is fine. I've turned up the water temp (which was set to medium)to almost high, which results in a much hotter shower for me, but still little to no hot water 1/2 hour later, and the duration of the first shower doesn't seem to matter (2 min or 15 min, the result is the same). I've tried flushing the heater several times. Is there anything I'm missing?

Default Re: Insufficient Hot Water

Howdy, where is the termostate set on the water heater? Do you have an inssulation blanket on the water heater to save your $?

don't forget that the average age for a water heater 10 years ago ranged from 7-15 years. it might be time to update.

The most common reason for your problem is that the dip tube has broken or corroded off. The cold water inlet side has a tube that takes the cold water to the bottom of the tank. If it is shortened for any reason it drastically affects the hot water delivery. These tubes may be purchased from most plumbing shops or can be made.