+ Reply to Thread

Default Drilling a hole in brick for frost free hose bib

Hi,

I just picked up a frost free hose bib that requires a 1 1/4" hole. The wall I am trying to install the hose bib has brick that I need to go through. What do I use to go through this? I have access to a hammer drill, but none of the drill bits are large enough. My local Lowes didn't have a 1 1/4" drill bit. What do you suggest i do?

Default Re: Drilling a hole in brick for frost free hose bib

There is a diamond grit hole saw that is used for tile. Your local Lowe's should have this in the tile section. It is not deep enough to go all the way through a brick, but go as far as you can, then finish the center hole with a same size masonry drill. Then finish the outer hole from the inside.

If you can't get access to the interior side of the brick, then drill as far as you can, then remove the material from the center of the hole with a cold chisel and hammer, then drill some more, chisel some more and eventually you will get through.

Or you can drill as far as possible, use the cold chisel to remove the material from the center of the hole, then use the cold chisel to punch out the back side of the brick. It won't look good on the interior side, but if it isn't visible, only you will know.

What about a carbide hole saw? Just saw a video on youtube of a guy using that in conjunction with a screwdriver and hammer.

Any rental store will carry a hammer drill with any bit size you are looking for including a 1 1/4 inch drill bit. I will be a lot faster and easier then beating your way through brick with a chisel and hammer.

Renting a rotary hammer drill will also be neater than the manual methods. A carbide bit or diamond core bit will work nicely.

you definitely want a hammer drill and a carbide masonry bit. a hole saw wont be able to penetrate deep enough
    fire up the saw and make some dust

If you like doing things the old-fashioned way, you can use a hammer and star drill. (Don't use a cold chisel. It will make a real mess of things.) Just be sure to wear heavy gloves and eye protection.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.