+ Reply to Thread

Default protecting old cast iron pipes from dishwashers etc.

Our small apartment building in Queens, NY, was built in 1915 and has cast iron waste pipes. We recently had to replace a length of pipe under one apartment, and the metal had become paper-thin on the bottom. We suspect that the tenant's washing machine might have exacerbated the damage. Should we ban washing machines? What about dish washers? Is there a brand or kind of detergent that will minimize damage to our aging pipes? We've warned tenants not to use harsh drain cleaners, but what about the chemicals we use daily? Any advice would be appreciated!

Default Re: protecting old cast iron pipes from dishwashers etc.

Just how long do you expect the pipe to last? After all it's 96 years old. I would say it has given you good service. It's time to replace it. There's not to many things that last that long.

John

While you may be able to ask your tenants to stop using drain cleaners, you can't possibly ask them not to use their dishwashers or washing machines (if any).

And yes, as good as cast iron has been, your pipes may have outlived their life expectancy. Consider yourself lucky, but now it's time to replace your drain pipes.

Messy and inconveniet, the sooner you do it, the better for you as any future drain to fix will be your headache.
    Last edited by dj1; 09-14-2011 at 03:28 PM.

Detergents etc have nothing to do with cast iron drain/waste pipes wearing out. I own a 99 year old five story building and I have had to replace a number of sections of pipe over 14 years simply because of age and wear and tear. Nothing lasts forever.