+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Possible leak

Hybrid View

Default Possible leak

We have a mysterious water running sound in our house. My wife and I both hear the sound of water running as if there's a shower on or an outside water spiggett is being used. We can also hear water running through pipes in the basement, even when nothing is on upstairs. It is driving us crazy thinking we have a leak in the walls. However, everything is dry so far. Any ideas?

Default Re: Possible leak

Check that your toilets are functioning properly. All too often, the water level is set too high and it drains through the overflow OR the flapper is worn and it's leaking there. One or two toilets can leak enough to cause noise not only in the supply line, but also in the drain system as well.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Your HVAC system may also use water if there is a humidifier installed.

Is this a stand alone house? Are you connected to anyone else?

The first thing to do is see if you do have running water. Make sure every thing is off, check your water meter, wait an hour or so and check it again to see if it moved or register water usage.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    The first thing to do is see if you do have running water. Make sure every thing is off, check your water meter, wait an hour or so and check it again to see if it moved or register water usage.

Jack
    Actually, turning off the water main to the house would effectively determine if it's an actual leak somewhere or some other type of noise.

We used to have a ticking problem with a waterheater. When it was running, the pipes would expand and you could hear them ticking in the wall near the waterheater. Sounded like water dripping, though I knew what it really was.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

While the toilet is a likely culprit, I once had a pipe in a crawlspace leak.