+ Reply to Thread

Default 1940 wood floor help

We recently had a house fire. When we pulled up the carpet there was nice wiood flooring under it. I love it, but the spaces between some of the boards are wider than usual. A dime can fit inbetween with a little space left over. I want to refinish these floors but my husband (union carpenter) says that there is no way. He wants to get laminate, and I absolutly hate the look of that. It looks so fake. Yet we don't have much $ to spend on it. Is there any way for us to fix these? Please help

Default Re: 1940 wood floor help

Howdy, here in Southern OR lots of cottage and victorian homeowners are just leaving the inperfections in the flooring and putting a stain and urathane on the floor. I like the look.
    I am going to do this to the t&G floor in my 105 year old grand home in Nebraska. Another advantage is that if you marr the floor a little your heart doest not skip a beat becasue the floor has imperfections....

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Miller View Post
    Howdy, here in Southern OR lots of cottage and victorian homeowners are just leaving the inperfections in the flooring and putting a stain and urathane on the floor. I like the look.
    I am going to do this to the t&G floor in my 105 year old grand home in Nebraska. Another advantage is that if you marr the floor a little your heart doest not skip a beat becasue the floor has imperfections....

Well we just need to convince my husband now!

I would consult with a hardwood flooring installer or refinisher as to what can be done. You may be able to replace damaged boards with those from a back closet or other unobtrusive place. Gaps may be able to be filled, then the floor is sanded and refinished, blending it all together.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!