+ Reply to Thread

Default fir deck has mildew

We cleaned the deck with bleach and water, what should we use to seal it?

Default Re: fir deck has mildew

the best product for decks (what i use) is called defy don't know if you can get in your location or cabots stain both are exc in repeling water make sure you p/wash to remove any problems first then follow the direction on the can

Beth,

There are many good stains on the market. My preference is for oil stains.
    They penetrate, do not build a surface film and will never peel per se. The down side is that every oil stain of which I know, requires a yearly maintenance coat.

Cabot's, Penefin, Sikkens, PreservaWood are all good products. Follow the directions on the label. One thing they have in common is that the wood should be given a liberal coating of the oil, but any oil which remains on the surface after about 15 or 20 minutes should be wiped off, least it become and remain sticky and cause glossy areas. Also, be very careful with those oily rags, especially if the oil contains linseed oil. Such rags can spontaneously combust.

that is why i don't use oil stains using defy has an epoxy in it will hold up to 3 or 4 years & you can use your deck in hrs cabots is almost the same thing both are waterborne & can use your deck faster than oil which is passe i've been using these products for 10 yrs no problem only they last to long defy will ship you whatever you need at www.defyinfo.com both of thes product cost about $35 & up per gal cabots soild are more

I sell both oil products and water based stains of different compositions, i.e. urethane fortified etc. My misgivings with the non-oil products is they tend to have a heavier surface build which , when they start to fail and begin to peel, require a general stripping. Perhaps I am more critical since I live in the Pacific NorthWest, an absolutely horrible climate for wood decks. We have relatively mild winters with rain every other day on average. The mild winters are followed by hot, dry, desert like summers. All that moisture which accumulated in the wood during the winter wants out NOW!

I am not familiar with "Defy". Apparently it is not sold in the NorthWest. It could well be a fine fine product, especially in a more hospitable climate and on decks which are in good condition.

One problem with decks that are "long in the tooth" is that they get long splits in the grain, allowing even more of the winter's rain deep into the wood.
    If you can't keep water from getting into the wood, for goodness sake, don't put anything on the deck which hinders it from exiting! Here is where oil stains excel. It allows moisture to exit without peeling.