+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Painting old stairs - epoxy?

We're renovating our house and refinishing the main stairs (this is a multi-family brownstone). We're removing linoleum tiles and metal nosings, and we'd like to provide a smooth, durable painted finish to the wood below. I'm trying to avoid too much scraping or sanding of the wood because of lead paint.

Is there a self-leveling floor paint that I could apply over the wood treads that would take out some of the roughness? I was thinking an epoxy product, but most are for use on concrete floors.

Thanks!

Default Re: Painting old stairs - epoxy?

Rocketship,
    Epoxies are generally not suitable over a soft substrate such as wood. Any sharp object, such as high heel shoes, will cause the paint film to puncture.

I would personally prefer removing the rough paint surface with either a chemical paint remover or a really sharp hook paint sc****r. A hook sc****r has a half round blade which can be sharpened with a file. When drawn across wood, it will pull up curled wood shavings. It is much faster then sanding with a faction of the dust. They are often used by flooring guys to clean out the corners that the sanding machine will not reach.

It is possible that you might get the treads clean enough to stain and varnish. Otherwise, I would finish them with a good oil floor paint. Oil paint will give a much harder, easier to clean finish than will an acrylic/latex based floor paint.