+ Reply to Thread

Question Stuck sliding glass door

We have a sliding glass door, which is totaly stuck, we have checked aeverywhere for loks and catches we good be causing to not to open, I have taken out the handle and lock tried moving the catch with srewdriver, seems to move but door totaly jamed and won't budge , any thoughts on what else to try short of full replacement.

Thanks

Mark

Default Re: Stuck sliding glass door

What is the door made of? Is it Vinyl, Aluminum, or Wood? If it is wood it could have gotten wet and swelled tight.

I'm sure you checked but just got to ask. Sometimes people put a long block of wood behind the door since the locks on sliding doors are not all that great. Make sure there is nothing wedged in there keeping the door from opening.

I doubt it but it could be possible that someone painted the door shut if it was painted at one point and not opened since. If that were the case you would need to used a utility knife and cut the joint between the door and the frame.

Hope this helps you out.
    Mike

Default Re: Stuck sliding glass door

Quote Originally Posted by sabo4545 View Post
    I'm sure you checked but just got to ask. Sometimes people put a long block of wood behind the door since the locks on sliding doors are not all that great. Make sure there is nothing wedged in there keeping the door from opening.
    In addition, here's a few things I've seen:

1 - Holes drilled through the frames to insert a pin to lock the operator and fixed panels together. Closely examine each edge of the door where it contacts the frame for any type of locking mechanism or device. They can hide anywhere.
    2 - Thumbscrew type track locks (like you'd find on a sliding window ) on either the top or bottom track of the door.
    3 - There could be a sliding lock on the back of the operating panel that slides to lock into the fixed panel, this is usually about the same height as the door handle.
    4 - The main lock in the handle isn't releasing. Depending on the style, you might be able to lift the handle and door assembly slightly to get it to release.
    5 - The rollers are so far out of adjustment that the door is dragging on the bottom track and not moving. Lift the door and slide it open. Once open, the roller adjusters can be accessed from the edges of the door.
    6 - Physical track damage that has wedged the door in place.
    Last edited by A. Spruce; 09-15-2011 at 07:26 PM.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thumbs down Re: Stuck sliding glass door

Pay attention to #5 and #6 on Spruce's list. I bet you will find the problem in the track or the wheels.

Clean the track, apply some WD, try lifting the door and drag it enough to be able to lift it out. Make sure track is clean, not bent or out of shape, or you may need to replace it. Clean the door, replace the wheels and tighten all corner screws, but don't force them, you might crack the glass, sending you shopping for a new door (ouch).