+ Reply to Thread

Default Does Aeratis Look Like Wood

We need to replace our front porch which is on a 1917 historic home. Initially was expecting to replace with Ipe or Mahogany, but our contractor is pushing to use Aeratis. Am very concerned about the look. According to their website, they have done historic properties and it looks just like wood. Can anyone share their opinions on this? Also, we plan to paint it if that has any impact. Thanks.

Default Re: Does Aeratis Look Like Wood

I think that it will be OK to use it. The biggest advantage is the resistance to termites.

I have looked at samples of various PVC Tongue & Groove Porch Flooring, most look pretty good. I have contacted Aeratis about receiving samples and additional information and I have reviewed their Web site. Most of the big names, Azek, Wolf, Gossen are made in the USA, I am not sure where Aeratis is manufactured. I would be concern if their PVC products were made in China. Anyone know where Aeratis is made?

We just received samples, requested from their website. It's heavy, and it does not look like PVC. It does look remarkably like wood. We're trying to find how much it costs per linear foot.

In October, 2012, I decided to replace my tongue and groove porch flooring, I chose the composite Aeratis Traditions over natural wood to avoid replacing the natural wood every 5-10 years. Even though reviews were mixed, I shelled out the $3000 to buy the material for and hired a local craftsman to replace the porch. The boards were delivered to the site and contained a significant bow to them which my guy worked hard to straighten as he installed the boards.

About halfway through the job, he noticed that some of the boards were very slightly more narrow in the middle that on the ends. As a result, a slight curvature to the boards was occurring over time and a noticeable bend was apparent in the middle. I have taken my old protractor (remember those?) and have found a couple of installed boards with very slight variations in the center .I have pictures showing the bend but they don't seem to upload to the system.

I initially contacted Aeratis by phone and email but received no immediate call or email in response this issue. After a couple of additional calls, they sent out the manufacturer rep for the mid Atlantic area who examined the porch, spoke with my guy and took the pictures. It was apparent to him as the pictures show that there was an issue. Frankly, given the significant premium I paid for the product , I wanted to discuss what my options were at this point. I have made numerous inquiries to both the manufacturer and the manufacturer's rep and it is apparent they are now taking the position that it was an installation issue, a position they did not mention at the first inspection nor one they have ever put in writing.