+ Reply to Thread

Default Old Termite Damage in Front End of Main Beam

I'm in the process of purchasing a new house and the inspector found that there was old termite damage in the front end of the main support beam in the basement. The present owner had a contractor cut out the section of damage and replace it. My questions are: Is that a safe fix, or did the whole beam need to be replaced?

Default Re: Old Termite Damage in Front End of Main Beam

A photo is needed to look at the area in question.

Default Re: Old Termite Damage in Front End of Main Beam

Quote Originally Posted by Anamandy View Post
    My questions are: Is that a safe fix, or did the whole beam need to be replaced?
    Depends on the situation and how the beam was repaired. As far as termite mitigation, as long as there is no active pests present, the structure is considered clear. Even old damage that is still structurally sound is permissible as long as there is no active infestation.

As for the repair, without seeing how it was done, there is no way for us to advise you on whether or not it was done correctly. A good rule of thumb, however, is that as long as a beam is properly supported on both ends, it should be fine. By properly supported, it should have at least 1-1/2" of purchase on top of any support, be it the foundation wall or a pier and post. In some cases a structural bracket will suffice.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!