+ Reply to Thread

Default Kitchen cbinet problem

I BOUGHT A SET OF SHOWROOM KITCHEN CABINETS. THE BOTTOM CABINET HAS A PIECE OF WOOD IN THE MIDDLE WHERE THE DOORS CLOSE. THIS IS A PAIN IN THE...BACK...EVERY TIME I HAVE TO GET A POT OR PAN I HAVE TO TWIST/TURN THE ITEM TO GET IT AROUND THIS. MY QUESTION IS,IF I CUT THIS WOOD OUT, HOW WOULD I RENFORE THE TOP DRAWER OR DO I NEED TO. I WOULD LIKE TO INSTALL PULL OUT SHELVES....LIFE WOULD BE SO MUCH EASIER FOR THE WIFE. THANKS

Default Re: Kitchen cbinet problem

It is likely that you can remove the portion of the face frame that is in the way, however, unless you've got nearly zero clearance between the doors, you're going to need it to close the gap between the doors when they're closed. There is a fix for this, you simply remove the stile (vertical piece ) from the face frame and attach it to one of the doors. Just remember to cut carefully and cleanly, and remove any screws before cutting or trying to remove the stile.

You'll probably need to cut the stile under the rail (horizontal piece ) that is under the drawers, as the stile likely runs from the bottom of the face frame all the way to the top rail of the face frame.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Red face Re: Kitchen cabinet problem

THANKS A. SPRUICE. THE DOORS ARE LARGE ENOUGH TO CLOSE WITH OUT THE VERTICAL PIECE.THEY MAKE CONTACT ON TOP AND BOTTOM OF THE FRAME. WITH TWO SILVERWARE DRAWS ON TOP OF THIS CABINET, I'M JUST WONDERING IF I REMOVE THS STLYE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FRAME WILL IT WEAKEN THE RAIL UNDERNEATH THE DRAWS?

Default Re: Kitchen cbinet problem

Do me a favor and turn your caps lock off.

With a wood face frame, removal of the center stile should not significantly change the integrity of the cabinet. If you're concerned, you can reinforce the interior side of the drawer area easily enough.

I would recommend taking a picture of the cabinet face without the drawers and with the doors open. From that I can probably tell you what you need to know. It would also be helpful to see the back side of the face frame between the doors and to know what the face frame is made out of.

To post pictures, you're going to have to host them ****** somewhere, then link them here. Because you're a new member you'll have to modify the link address something like this:

www DOT mypictures DOT com
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!