+ Reply to Thread

Default Basement Toilet & Drains

I am looking at a 1950's ranch home with 2 drains and a toilet in the basement, they are at least 4 feet below the old septic line leaving the house and has a 10' ceiling. The drains work and the toilet still flushes but the 80+ year old owner wont use it. They purchased the house in the early seventies. And when the town connected the sewer they asked if they had a toilet in there basement and she said her husband told them "no".( He didn't want to loose it) Where do these drains go?

Default Re: Basement Toilet & Drains

The Big Rock Candy Mountain.

Hey I am not sure what you mean, I am just curious to where these things drain too. Could they cause foundation issues?

If there 4' below your septic and there not going into a basin with a pump. I would say there not going into any approved disposal system and should not be used until you can find out where there going. They could be very well be going into your footing drains.

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnjh2o View Post
    If there 4' below your septic and there not going into a basin with a pump. I would say there not going into any approved disposal system and should not be used until you can find out where there going. They could be very well be going into your footing drains.

John
    Thanks for your input, how common was this? I am not sure why any house would be built this way. I wonder if this was something the original owner asked for when the house was built?

I would say it's something that was done by a none professional. Even back in the 1950's there were building codes that would not allow it to be done. More then likely it was done by a previous owner.
    My guess is the drains in the floor were meant to be floor drains and are connected to the footing drains.

John