+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wireless Doorbell - How does it work?

I cannot hear the doorbell when I'm on the second floor. The bell to our side door is electric. The ringer was in the basement. Someone installed a new electric one with the ringer at the top of the basement stairs. I still cannot hear it on the second floor.

If I buy a wireless door bell, where does the ringer go? Is it plugged into an outlet? I was looking on Amazon at this model:

Honeywell RCWL250A1006/N

I don't understand how it works.

Also, can I get a second ringer for the basement so I can hear no matter which floor I'm on?
    Last edited by Beatrice14; 09-10-2011 at 09:56 PM. Reason: clarification
    Beatrice14

Default Re: Wireless Doorbell - How does it work?

The wireless bells that I have seen use a battery operated button at the front door and the ringer is plugged into an outlet wherever is convenient. You would have to read the literature on the bell you purchase to know what the range is, whether or not you could put the ringer upstairs or not.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    The wireless bells that I have seen use a battery operated button at the front door and the ringer is plugged into an outlet wherever is convenient.
    I got one like this at Lowe's for my Mom's apartment .

I got some for a client at Home Depot, they work fine up to about 40 ft in a house. You can have as many buttons (stick on, battery powered) as you like sounding the same chime (120 V) but they have to be within that 40 ft range.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by The Semi-Retired Electric View Post
    I got some for a client at Home Depot, they work fine up to about 40 ft in a house.
    The number of walls or barriers that the signal has to pass through will also affect range. If mom's room is on the front of the house above the front door, no problem, on the back of the house there may be some distance issues due to the walls and floors, insulation, carpets, etc.

Another option would be to install a second hard wired bell or relocate the existing one closer to where mom spends her time. There are lots of different ways to run the wire, it doesn't necessarily have to be within the walls or other concealed spaces, it's just a matter of what you've got access to and how much time and effort you're willing to put into the project.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

you can buy one that has 2 bell installed one for an older person one on main level 2nd on 2nd floor & they can be moved anytime & anywhere

Honeywell RCWL330A1000/N P4-Premium Portable Wireless Door Chime and Push Button - It is a wireless door bell that is battery powered and works with up to 6 push buttons, motion and door contact detectors. The operating range is rated at 450 feet. It comes with 6 chime tunes available and volume is adjustable and has 6 visual alert icons.

Quote Originally Posted by Beatrice14 View Post
    I cannot hear the doorbell when I'm on the second floor. The bell to our side door is electric. The ringer was in the basement. Someone installed a new electric one with the ringer at the top of the basement stairs. I still cannot hear it on the second floor.

If I buy a wireless door bell, where does the ringer go? Is it plugged into an outlet? I was looking on Amazon at this model:

Honeywell RCWL250A1006/N

I don't understand how it works.

Also, can I get a second ringer for the basement so I can hear no matter which floor I'm on?
    Did you get the answer you asked ?

My mother-in-law has one, but I don't know if she has 2 bells, and I've never owned one or did research on them.

Here's how they typically work. The "push button" is a battery-operated wireless transmitter (they're weather but not water proof installed on the outside).
    The other piece, the "bell", is usually a 120v AC plug unit that is a receiver. I expect 1 "button" can operate 2 "bells" -- if a kit has 1 bell, you end up pay big dollars for a 2nd bell as an option, so look for a kit with 2 bells. (You need to look at the cost before going further.)
    Since these units are transmitters & receivers, they typically have "dip" switches to select a common radio frequency for all the units and prevent operation by another unit like a neighbor's (it's the same with any "wireless" system that has a "on/off" transmitter & receiver).

Have you seen driveway motion detectors or remote operated power cord ? a motion detector will wirelessly transmit a signal to a bell unit inside the house. Same thing here, except someone pushes the outdoor button to activate the inside bell receiver.

I understand how it works. I just have to find one that has two ringers.

Thanks for the replies.
    Beatrice14

Did you look into a louder doorbell or perhaps (if you could do it easily) moving the chime/bell to a location close to the current location, but not in the stairs? The reason I mention that is that I'm not a fan of wireless bells; my parents had trouble with them and got a hard wired bell and I've worked in several offices with them which were all a pain to deal with, either not working or ringing with no one around.