+ Reply to Thread

Default Cabinet Refinishing?

We have just moved into a house which has old cabinets. I am thinking of refinishing them myself. My idea of refinish is

-sanding the cabinet doors
    -using a polish to change the color

couple of questions

-how do know if this is a wood cabinet or just wood veneer.
    -can i sand this and polish the doors/drawers?

As you can see, I am a complete newbie. Any advice would help

Thank you

Default Re: Cabinet Refinishing?

I'm not sure what you mean by "-using a polish to change the color".

To answer your questions, you can usually tell if they are veneer by checking the edges of the doors and drawers. The thickness of a veneer will determine if it can be sanded or not and how much. It may be better to strip the finish with a chemical stripper, lightly sand and refinish.

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Drpvd:

You can get completely new looking cabinets by hiring any kitchen cabinet company in your area to simply replace the doors on your existing cabinets.

Also, depending on how your drawer fronts are installed, it may be possible to replace them as well. See if there are any screws on the back side of the drawer front. If so, they just screw on, and can be easily replaced with new drawer fronts.

I suspect the use of "Polish" is the UK English use; translates: varnish or shellac.
    A tinted "polish" can be used to tone an existing wood color, but its effects are very limited and many brushed-on colored varnishes give a far from happy end result.
    A lot of people are using gel stain to achieve a deeper color over an existing finish, then "polishing". The key for redoing kitchen cabinets is to clean them perfectly before anything else. The merest hint of grease and filth will cause problems with the job.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombreuil_mongrel View Post
    I suspect the use of "Polish" is the UK English use; translates: varnish or shellac.
    A tinted "polish" can be used to tone an existing wood color, but its effects are very limited and many brushed-on colored varnishes give a far from happy end result.
    A lot of people are using gel stain to achieve a deeper color over an existing finish, then "polishing". The key for redoing kitchen cabinets is to clean them perfectly before anything else. The merest hint of grease and filth will cause problems with the job.
    Casey
    Thanks Casey, never heard it called polishing before.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Question Re: Cabinet Refinishing?

I have cherry cupboards, in a galley style kitchen - have re-finished, several years ago, and the finish softened around the knobs. Now I want to do something 'fresh' to the kitchen - hate to paint the cherry, but the 'orange' color is now not to my taste.
    So, if I re-finish, do I need to strip again?
    In order to change the color, say using a stain with some red in it, how would I do that?

I also removed a couple doors over the stove to give it a more open feel, as well as the two doors over the ref to do the same thing. I want to saw off the middle 'support' board to give them a more open feeling.

any thoughts?