Re: In wall electrical cable touching hot water line
The insulation on most wiring installed since about 1985 is rated for at least 90 degrees celsius, or about 194F. Wiring installed before then is likely rated at 60 celcius, or 140F. So unless your water is very, very hot or you have older wiring, it should be safe so long as the insulation remains intact.
However, it's probably not a good idea. Nearly all plastics can withstand a high temperature for a short period of time. Plastics do become more brittle with age as the VOCs evaporate out of them; heat hastens the process. Prolonged heat can significantly shorten the life of a plastic.
The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.