+ Reply to Thread

Default Deconstructing 1920s cottage

We are deconstructing a 1920s cottage in Rye, NH to upgrade to a year-round home. There is no insulation, and the backside of the outside walls are the inside walls. There are wooden ceilings and floors and beadboard walls separate the rooms. I'll incorporate the Belfast soapstone sink and the beadboard into the new home. I hate to see the beautiful original ceilings and floors go into a dumpster. Does anyone have a suggestion for who might be interested in these components? Deconstruction will (hopefully) begin within a month in order to get the framing up before the winter months.

Default Re: Deconstructing 1920s cottage

Try posting on craigslist (I would be all OVER it if I was anywhere near you for our new house which was once a cottage), or contacting a Re-Store (habitat for humanity resale outlet for used construction supplies) or an architectural salvage company. But my first vote goes to craigslist just because I imagine someone out there would jump on it like I would, especially considering how quick some barn boards went that I wanted recently.

Quote Originally Posted by downtime View Post
    my first vote goes to craigslist just because I imagine someone out there would jump on it like I would, especially considering how quick some barn boards went that I wanted recently.
    CraigsList is great, just be prepared to hear from a lot of flakes. So plan accordingly, and be careful weeding out who you'll give appointments to.

Of course, it's also very helpful to attach pictures (with rough measurements) of the floors, etc. to your CraigsList post so you'll get less questions...as this will cut down on the amount of people who will inquire, as it will eliminate people who are needing something different.

Good for you for getting the materials out there!

So glad I stumbles onto this... What type of wood is the floor in your cottage.... we are looking for red oak "shorts" hardwood flooring? pieces are anywhere from 9"-15"....