+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Can I use a concrete incinerator for a compost bin?

Will this work? Our "new" home has an old concrete incinerator in the back yard. It used to be for burning trash. Would it make an acceptable compost bin?
    I've never composted before so it's all new to me.

Default Re: Can I use a concrete incinerator for a compost bin?

I my city burning trash is illegal.

I think that compost bins have to have access to the ground, so if you have concrete floor, it won't work.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    I my city burning trash is illegal.

I think that compost bins have to have access to the ground, so if you have concrete floor, it won't work.
    Actually, it is best if the bin has access to the ground, but it isn't a necessity.

By having contact with the ground, the compost picks up microbes that are beneficial to the composting process. In lieu of ground contact, tossing in shovel fulls of dirt as the pile is built will take care of that. Subsequent piles should include a health portion of the original pile which propagates better pile health and activity.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

There are tumbler type composters on the market where the compost obviously never touches the ground. There are also organic treatments which can be bought and added to the compost to aid in the decomposition of the matter.

The compost has to be periodically turned over. I don't know if the incinerator box would be conducive
    to flipping the pile over.

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    The compost has to be periodically turned over. I don't know if the incinerator box would be conducive
    to flipping the pile over.
    Actually, compost can be "no touch" and work just as well as a meticulously turned pile, the difference is in how long it takes the pile to decompose. No touch piles take much longer because they become anaerobic (lack of air ), which makes the microbes work harder to do their thing. A frequently turned and watered pile will have the right balance of air, moisture, and heat to work very quickly.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

It will work as long as it is not sealed around the bottom well and will drain. You want compost, not compost tea.

Another thought, this would be an ideal place to store gasoline, oils, and other combustibles instead of keeping these things in the garage.