Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: electric bill astronomical

I would suggest asking the electric utility to either test or replace the meter.

Beyond that, it may be necessary to (have someone) perform some tests to determine if there is some appliance is using excessive amounts of electricity.

How are the major appliances (Range, heat, water heater, clothes dryer) powered? Electricity, natural gas, propane, or oil?

Does anyone in the house take extraordinarily long showers (longer than 10 minutes)?
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    Are you joking me? do you need a proof?
    No , YOU need proof to back up your statement of a 100% increase in MOST areas in a FEW years .

I was called by the pastor of a new church I was wiring. He had just received his first power bill. Since we were only running tools and about 20 lights he thought it was strange the bill was for $4000.

I started laughing (wrong response) and suggested they recheck the settings on their meter (CT). If they wouldn't do that tell them you're going to hire an engineer for $200 per hour and will bill them if it turns out they were wrong.

They reset the computer and adjusted the bill to about $200.
    Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by WitchDoctor View Post
    No , YOU need proof to back up your statement of a 100% increase in MOST areas in a FEW years .
    I don't know where you live and what you are paying for electricity, nor why you are trying to defend electric suppliers. I also don't know why you insist on "proof" as if there something for you to gain. Really, what is your concern?

But since you asked, let me tell you: The proof is in my bills. I have them all, tracing back 20 years.

Other proof: various articles, available on line, except they don't go back as far. There you will find that from 2009 to 2011 there has been a 34% increase in the rates. That's 2 years, 34% increase. Just google DWPrates.

And for the future? increases are coming faster than bombs.

But since you asked, let me tell you: The proof is in my bills. I have them all, tracing back 20 years.

Other proof: various articles, available on line, except they don't go back as far. There you will find that from 2009 to 2011 there has been a 34% increase in the rates. That's 2 years, 34% increase. Just google DWPrates.
    Ok , so now we have gone from 100% , down to 34% .

Quote Originally Posted by WitchDoctor View Post
    Ok , so now we have gone from 100% , down to 34% .
    A quick check into the past, DOC, and here it is: from 1998 to 2011 - an increase of 94%. Much faster than inflation.

You may be an OK elecrician, but that's not enough to dispute what others are saying, even though you believe in the freedom of speech.

By the way, has your income doubled in this time period?

I'd have the power company come take a look at it.

As others have said, rates have gone up.... for various reasons. Some is increased commodity costs. Others are deregulation and the ability of power companies to make larger profits than in the past.

One big problem is many utilities put in natural gas power generation. Natural gas prices increased at a much higher rate over the last 10 years compared to coal. The more natural gas and less coal, nuclear and hydroelectric, the higher the rates will be. Large investments in wind energy have also increased costs a little to. Very, very large investments up front for relatively small capacity gains.
    1925 Two-Story Stucco Beaux Arts Neoclassical

A quick check into the past, DOC, and here it is: from 1998 to 2011 - an increase of 94%. Much faster than inflation.
    YOU said 100% increase in a FEW YEARS . Nowhere did you say anything about inflation until I disputed your claim . Inflation has nothing to do with anything here . You still have not come up with any FACTS that back up your claim . Continue to spin words and muddy the waters if you wish , but you are wrong and you know it .

Witchdoctor, I think you are trying to make a federal case out of nothing that neither adds to or diminishes from the discussion. "Today's rates are 100% higher than just a few years ago, in most areas." is a relative statement, depending on what you consider "a few years back" means. I can remember a few years back when I bought gasoline for 25 a gallon. You, on the other hand, may not consider 40 years a few years ago.

Let's not go out of our way to try and antagonize one another.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb