Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default electric bill astronomical

My electric bill has been 500. a month and has been for many years. I never knew this was odd. I have found no one who compares. I'm a single mom, live alone and rent part of the house to a single mom and daughter who pay half the electric. Who can I find to figure out the reason?

Default Re: electric bill astronomical

that or someone is tapping into your service drawing power that you are getting billed for, this is quite common in areas with hydroelectric,

there have been numerous reports of this going on in the toronto ontario area
    fire up the saw and make some dust

OR, the thief is actually your electric supplier...

Today's rates are 100% higher than just a few years ago, in most areas.

Recession or not, energy (of all sorts) companies are cashing in.

Can you turn off all your lighting, water heater air conditioner etc. (not the main breaker) for about 8 hours?
    If so, compare your meter reading before and after to see if you have a neighbor using your power.

If you live in an apartment you should have separate meters.

Does your air conditioner run continuously? Should be off about half the time, if sized properly. You could have an air leak in your ducts.

Turn off all your faucets & commodes does your water meter still spin? You may have a hot water leak.

These are just a few energy wasters. I'm sure others can add more.

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, http://thesemi-retiredelectrician.com

Are you on level billing? Do you have electric heat?

Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by dj1 View Post
    OR, the thief is actually your electric supplier...

Today's rates are 100% higher than just a few years ago, in most areas.

Recession or not, energy (of all sorts) companies are cashing in.
    So " most " energy rates are 100% higher , eh ? And all of the Public Service Commisions just sit by and let it happen ? I challenge you to prove your comment .

here in nova scotia, nova scotia power puts in requests for rate increases every year for roughly 20% at a time, every year they get approve but not hte rate they want. the government lets them increase the rate by anywhere between 5-12% at a time, since 97 the rates have gone up by almost 40% and we havent gotten improved service, all that has happened is that the high up execs get bigger and bigger bonus's at the end of the year.

and its no thanks to our governement giving up the ownership to regulate power some 25 years ago.. there are a ton of ticked off blue nosers over this
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Quote Originally Posted by WitchDoctor View Post
    So " most " energy rates are 100% higher , eh ? And all of the Public Service Commisions just sit by and let it happen ? I challenge you to prove your comment .
    Let me ask you a question: Are you using any type of energy? What - gasoline? natural gas? electric power?

ALL of the above are going up a lot faster than the inflation rate. And yes, the public commissioners are in the energy companies' pockets.

Take gasoline. In 2008 it was $1.80 a gal. Now $4.00 a gal. Do you buy and pay your own gas? or do you ride a bicycle?

Here we have the Department of Water and Power. They raise their rates every year, the public is powerless, the city is behind them because they collect a ton of taxes for the city (so they can bypass prop 13). There are hearings, different folks stand up and tell the commissioners how times are hard and they can't afford to run their air conditioners, the commissioners theatrically nod, and at the end approve a little less than the DWP asked for. It's nothing but a show.

Are you joking me? do you need a proof?

Many utilities will provide an "energy audit" for you for free. Call them and see if yours does. BTW, you could simply have a defective meter, you could ask them to replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by hayfield View Post
    My electric bill has been 500. a month and has been for many years. I never knew this was odd. I have found no one who compares. I'm a single mom, live alone and rent part of the house to a single mom and daughter who pay half the electric. Who can I find to figure out the reason?
    $500 a month ?? You have 4-6 people in the household, and my friend in Texas say his bill is $400/month around now (100 degree high every day since June).
    Look at your KW usage; it should spike around based on your A/C usage; at least the meter can be observed for consistency. So you say your neighbors have lower bills -- what are the Kilowatts (KW) they use (based same 4-6 people size).

Normally, you have would a base usage of KW's that cost about $75 month, and then spike when the A/C is run.

Even though you have a tenant, you're not runing everything twice (2 refrigerators, 2 dryers, twice lights left on, TV's, etc.)

In Northern California where I had only 1 room A/C which I ran 12 hours per day during the summer, the high bill was about $150. The difference is mainly A/C cooling and how much you run the A/C (do you have electric HEAT ?).

I'm now in No. Virginia and my high EL bill (so far) is $271 in August (I think that's high) -- the central A/C is 74 degrees ALL DAY (76d upstairs). Again, that are differences between August and February.

We have an electric stove but we don't cook a lot; CFL lights mostly and many are left on by the gals in the house, and have chandeliers burning incandescent bulbs; 2 refigerators including a 42" wide; several TV's going on in the evening; electric clothes dryer running about 5 loads/week (but with HE washer). Our insulation is moderate (1965 w/ storm windows and OK door seals) meaning it isn't sealed but not drafty as if nothing was done.

So $500/month looks really high.