+ Reply to Thread

Question New lighting fixtures...

Have very simple new lighting fixtures to install in my condo. When I got into the box there is a message on the fixture to the following...
    MIN 90 DEGREE CELSIUS SUPPLY CONDUCTORS
    CAUTION: RISK OF FIRE. MOST DWELLINGS BUILT BEFORE 1985 HAVE SUPPLY WIRE RATED 60 DEGREE CELSIUS. CONSULT A QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN TO ENSURE CORRECT BRANCH CIRCUIT CONDUCTOR.

Is this something that I can check, or do I have to have an electrician come in to do it?
    (My condo was built around or before 1985.)

Default Re: New lighting fixtures...

CC, just run the fixture wire into the box in your ceiling to make the connections.

Good Luck from Columbiana, Alabama
    Maurice Turgeon, http://thesemi-retiredelectrician.com

Question Re: New lighting fixtures...

So just go ahead and follow the regular instructions that came with the new ceiling lighting fixtures?

Yes.

The caution sign is there as a warning, but if you connect correctly, you'll be fine.

The label was most likely ordered by their insurance company and written by their lawyer. It means you can't sue them if your house burns down.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.