+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Window Problem

Cool Window Problem

HELP Please!

I have a home with vinyl windows that have argon gas in between the two panes of glass. The manufacturer was
    a company called capital. These windows are the original ones in my house. I upgraded from the standard
    windows they put in my home. From the outside they have a light blue-ish gray tint to them instead of the
    typical clear tint to them. My house was new in 1999 so I am bewildered by what has occured.

Problem: Most om my 18 windows have mold growing in between the sealed side of my windows. It
    seems that this year we started noticing moisture in the middle of the window panes which quickly has turned
    to mold. It seems to be much worse on the back side of the house which faces due WEST. Full Sun! Its as if they have become small green houses. Before this year I had no problems and my utility bills were low . I have a two
    story around 2700 square feet.

I have never heard of this. Have you heard of this? Is there any thing I can do except replace ALL the windows
    in the house? I would really like your advice.

Thank you very much and I always watch your show on PBS in St. Louis, MO. My family watch it
    together. We love the show!
    Bob McBee Jr.
    Wildwood, MO 63011
    Last edited by The Dude; 09-08-2011 at 01:10 PM.

Default Re: Window Problem

sounds like the seals are gone on the windows, may not neccessarily be mold but mildew.
    this issue should be remedied asap, try contacting the company or get or one of the local window manufactuers, they can usually send out a service tech who can repair it or replace the panes
    fire up the saw and make some dust

That's right, jkirk is right on.

The exterior pane has a removable plastic molding around it. I bet that if you remove it, you'll see no caulking, no glazing material, no protection what so ever. No wonder moisture got in. Remedy? clean the ugly stuff, reinstall pane, caulk (glaze) and seal. It might be too much work for the average homeowner, so call a handyman. But don't let him damage your windows.

BTW, the argon gas has long escaped.

honestly i wouldnt call a handyman, most of the guys locally shouldnt go anywhere a window unless their washing it. the seal on teh actual pane is probably gone which let the argon out, this isnt a handyman job you will need a window tech who works for the window company
    fire up the saw and make some dust

As jkirk said, a local window company should be able to order replacement sealed unit (an assembly of two panes of glass with a seal between) and install them in the existing frame. They should be able to identify the coating on them and replace it with something similar or better.

It's about impossible to take them apart and reseal them. Even if you do, you'll likely have problems.

That will probably be the least expensive repair, but fenestration is never cheap.

(It's called "fenestration" because "window" and "glass" don't sound expensive enough to describe something that can cost from a hundred to thousands of dollars each.)
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.