+ Reply to Thread

Default Plug a bathroom vent

Due to noise and smoke from upstairs neighbor (live in apartment building), I want to plug up the vent fan opening in our bathroom. We have other means of venting the steam during showers.

QUESTION: What material would work best? I only want to remove the fan grate and plug the hole in the wall (approx. 12" x 12"), in a manner that I could "undo" if/when we decide to move from the apartment. I was thinking acoustic tile over a piece of plywood. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Default Re: Plug a bathroom vent

I would recommend Saran wrap over the vent grill, that way you won't forget to reverse it when you leave and it won't be an issue for the next tenant.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Saran wrap won't block noise. And based on an earlier attempt with painter's plastic (plastic floor covering sheets), I don't think it would block the noxious odors we're getting from those %(#&)(Q folks upstairs.

What about a piece of 2" thick foam insulation (or some thick craft foam from a craft store), cut to fit the vent?

Good luck.

There's not much you're going to be able to do to block the noise. Stuffing the vent with foam may help slightly, but if they're making enough noise to be transmitted through the vent, they're making enough noise that's going to be transmitted through the floor/ceiling as well.

Your best be may be to find a new apartment in a smoke free environment.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

The noise issue through the vent is simply that they run the vent fan practically 24/7. I just want to make it so we don't hear the roaring of their vent fan.

Foam will help reduce that noise and will also help with smoke issues if the vent is the source.

I'd still recommend looking at alternative housing to get away from the annoyances.

If money allowed, we'd move in a second.

I used about 6 layers of acoustic tile, cut to fit the box the fan was in (I removed the fan). Box was (after I actually measured it) 7.875" tall, 7" wide, and 4" deep. I also taped over the small round "flip" cover over the hole that allowed air flow into the larger vent duct, and some around the edge of the box itself (where it didn't fit well against the drywall. It muffles the sound of the upstairs neighbor's fan sufficiently to allow us to sleep. Also seems to be keeping the Camel unfilters' smoke from invading our master bathroom/bedroom.

This might just keep me out of jail.