+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Fixing Leaky windows enclosed by window wells

I have two basement windows which tilt towards you to open. They are both surrounded by a window well. When it rains heavily, the window wells fill with water and the water seeps through the space between the concrete and the window itself and flows down my basement walls. A sump pump was put in when the house was built. Unfortunately I can't control the water in the well. We did have lids put on which did absolutely nothing because the water seeps into the ground and fills the wells. Can I use expandable foam around the windows? Is the foam porous or will it hold the water from coming in? I was also thinking about having pvc pipes installed under the ground under the window wells to push the water away from the house. I am concerned about a damp basement and the concrete floor and mold. Can anyone suggest a solution.

Default Re: Fixing Leaky windows enclosed by window wells

I don't have a lot of experience with this, but what about a good plastic lids and waterproofing the wells? This way the runoffs will go elsewhere.

Default Re: Fixing Leaky windows enclosed by window wells

You really need to dig out your wells and get them to drain away from your home, and also take a look at the grading around the area as "well".

Don't try to stop the water from entering, divert it away.