+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Air conditioner outlet troubles

I live in an apartment that has an air conditioner wall unit that I would like to plug into a timer. It has an outlet that looks like this one: http://advice.thisoldhouse.com/attac...8&d=1218946281. The inside of my unit says that is has 230/208 volts (cooling/heating) and 8.9/9.6 for amps.

I bought a timer that should have worked except that the top left prong on the ac plug is turned vertically and the timer only accepts horizontal plugs. Can I get/is it safe to try to find an adapter for this? Or does anyone know of a timer that fits this plug? I don't know where to look and am not terribly well educated as to the terminology so I'm having a difficult time with this. Thanks for any help.

Default Re: Air conditioner outlet troubles

Howdy timer is not made for this application verticle means ususaly 110. You have need of a timer for more wattage.

Default Re: Air conditioner outlet troubles

If the left hand prong is horizontal, it's a 20A 120V plug. If the right one is horizontal, it's a 240V plug. That's so you can't plug in the wrong thing. You need to get a timer similar to one for a water heater rated 240 Volts.
    Just because you can, it doesn't mean you should!