+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Plaster Ceiling

Default Plaster Ceiling

I need to remove a plaster ceiling and leave the lath in place. How can I remove the ceiling that adjoins plaster walls without damaging the plaster walls ?

Default Re: Plaster Ceiling

Not possible. The plaster is "keyed" into the lathe and cannot be removed without removing the lathe itself.

Saw cut where you need the plaster to seperate.
    To remove the plaster and leave the lath use a hammer an brake the plaster away from the lath once you get an area started it should be no problem.It will be a dirty job.

Thanks -- I am OK with getting the plaster off and leaving the lath. I've done that before. My real problem is the meeting of the ceiling and the wall. The wall is also a plaster wall and has wallpaper on it. I want to prevent damage to the wall. So I want to remove the ceiling cleanly without cracking the plaster on the wall. Any ideas for that ?

You can cut along the change in plane with a grinder or sawzall. If your house is post-1920 there will probably be a piece of expanded metal lath bridging the joint, which will have to be cut thoroughly to avoid pulling down the walls. There will be some damage to the wall. A crown molding should cover it. Tape plastic to all the wallpaper to avoid soiling, maybe lean sheets of foam board against the wall to prevent damage from falling debris.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Thanks -- that's helpful information. Luckily I have another room at my house that I can practice in with similar conditions -- so I'll give it a try.