+ Reply to Thread

Default Sheathing exterior walls 1810 house

I am restoring a farmhouse built in 1810. The sills have been repaired along with most of the first floor joists. The exterior is sheathed in American Chestnut planks. I am planing on removing them and sheathing the house in Plywood. We plan an making moldings/shelves... with the chestnut. What thickness and type of plywood should I use. I here conflicting reports on RTD vs CDX. What is the difference. We would like to make the house as strong as possible so it will last another 200 years! I will not use OSB or particle board!!!

Default Re: Sheathing exterior walls 1810 house

1/2" standard for walls, if you want the extra meat and strength you can up to 3/4" standard exterior grade
    fire up the saw and make some dust

thank you for the quick response. What is the difference between RTD and CDX? I know CDX is c/d grade exterior. How is RTD graded? Is it just a rating?

honestly im not to sure, around here our plywood is either exterior sheathing grade or sanded fir... prob just depends on the region

I think that the difference between RTD (rating) and CDX is the glue that holds the plies. RTD could be replacing CDX, as far as availability in the building supply stores.

In my city, the Building Dept tells you which plywood to use for exterior walls, shear walls, roofing, and flooring, if you want to stay away from OSB. However, sometimes what they require is not available around...I've had inspectors approving different plywoods than specified for that reason.

From what I have been reading ****** about RTD (Ready to Delaminate!). I'm just looking for some expert opinions so I do not but junk on the house.

all you need is standard exterior grade plywood, its got a rough texture to it for two reasons. 1) so they dont have to spend extra money on sanding it. 2) the more important reason that you have traction when walking on it especially on roofs