my neighbor has a 50 year old spectacular redbud tree that has four trunks coming from ground with the entire tree in a very organic curvy shape. it is lovely and enjoy it. the picture is before we put the fence in. two of four trunks come up over our fence and into our backyard. the other two remain on the tree's owners property. here is problem. hurricane irene has shifted the arm that is closest to the gargage in the image and we think it is going to crack off. i checked the base of tree and there is separation between this trunk and the others. it has broken the plastic fence we had specially made to work around the tree. we do now want to cut it by try and salvage it. right now we have a wood post underneith the brach in an angle that is against the way it is coming over.

should the wood post brace be straight up and down for better support or is the angle to make an upside down v more appropriate for counterbalance? any suggestions are apprectiated.

also, it is not a high tree but brances are very thick i fear when this does fall it will damage the garage. so want to try and create safe area without removing it. if it were dying from seperation at the base, wouldnt i be able to see with the leaves dying off? it is so far, healthy.