+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default In Need of a new Heat Pump and outdoor A/C

Hello:

My house was built in 1988. It's 1400 sq ft. An Aquatherm® "Combo Heater", model #24VAQ3, was placed in the 3' x 5' closet in 1994. A Bradford-White, 40 gal, hot water tank, model #DS140S6EN10, shares this space. Literally, the heater and hot water tank were crammed into this space. A two ton, 10 SEER, Frigidaire unit is outdoors. In the summer, this unit cools the first floor (FF), yet the second floor (SF) is an oven. In the winter, the situation is reversed.

I want to replace the heating and cooling system, however, as you know, most HVAC equipment has increased in size due to the increased efficiency standards mandated by the Department of Energy. I've spoken to three HVAC contractors. Two of them looked bewildered about how to rearrange the larger heater and hot water tank in the space. I did learn that there is not enough clearance between my house an my current outdoor unit.

What heating unit brand(s)do you recommend for this space with compatible outdoor unit? Would purchasing an attic fan help cool the SF? Which brand is best? Should I increase the capacity of my hot water tank to 50 gal. minium to accompany the newer unit? How do I increase the clearance between my house and the outside unit without going over budget? Is it efficient for me to purchase a 2.5 ton a/c with a 14.5 to 15 SEER heat pump for a 1400 sq ft house?

Thank you,

Default Re: In Need of a new Heat Pump and outdoor A/C

OK, here's the deal: The water heater has to move. It's a good idea to have a water heater inside a closet. Besides you will need the space for a new a/c unit.

But we need more information from you, like:

- do you have a garage?
    - where is the house located?
    - is the water heater a natural gas model? check the model number again.
    - how many live in the house?

As far as a/c size, you will need to have it assessed and determined by the a/c contractor. 15 seer will give you a nice quiet unit.

Thank you for answering my post.

- do you have a garage? - No

- where is the house located? - Richmond, VA

- is the water heater a natural gas model? check the model number again - The heater is natural gas model #DS140S6EN10 designed for closet installation.

- how many live in the house? -2

Thank you...
    Last edited by biomedlib; 09-04-2011 at 02:00 AM.

Oops, I wanted to say that having the water heater in the closet is NOT a good idea...I hope your water heater T&P valve is extended to the outside and the water heater has at least a pan under it.

Anyway, a 40 gal water heater is big enough for 2.

If you have no garage, then do you have a basement? I'm trying to see if moving the water heater is possible (not a cheap solution). If not, ask about a narrow furnace from Rheem. I know they make them to fit tight spaces.

I'd look at smaller HVAC units. I don;t think the indoor units are significantly larger. The coils are a little bigger but not a lot. To minimize size, make sure you get a load calculation done and install the smallest unit possible. You could also invest in better insulation and sealing up air leaks in the house by getting a home energy audit and finding them.

The temperature imbalance is typical in a 2 story home that doesn't have zoning. Adding zoning is pretty expensive even if the main trunks are accessible. You'd need a 2 stage AC and on top of the zone controls.

However, you might be able to minimize the difference. Typically a house that is warm in the summer upstairs is also warm in the winter as well. IF it's also old in the winter, then you are short on airflow upstairs.

ALSO... upsizing the AC to fix the imbalance will actually make it worse. Smaller equipment heats more evenly because it runs for a longer time. I'ts estimated by some that 1/2 the homes in the US have oversized HVAC equipment.

A 2 stage furnace will also heat more evenly and s worth the money in a cooler climate.

DO oyu have a dual fuel system (heat pump & gas furnace) or a heat pump and air handler?

Finally, to improve airflow upstairs, you can install higher quality supply grills on the upstairs registers. They cost 2-3x more, but have better throw (air distribution) and less resistance. So you'll get more airflow upstairs. Atlanta Supply is 1 place you can buy them ******.
    1925 Two-Story Stucco Beaux Arts Neoclassical

If your duct is designed right you should be able to get air to the second floor as the air handler is on the first. How does the 5' of your closet run, parallel or perpendicular to the wall it's in? More than likely it's perp. which means it must be a b_ _ _ _ _
    to service, I Know they make air handlers at 21-22 inches so you still have 14 left over not counting the doorway which is more than likely 29 leaving 7. Still more than enough to get it in the closet. If you are getting air with no heat or cooling it may be time to upgrade, as motoguy says a load calc is important in order that your system runs correctly. As dj says you should move one or the other, what happens when the one in the back craps out, no room to get it out without removing the one in front.

Thanks again for answering my post. I appreciate everyone's input

I have a First Co., Aquatherm Combo Heater with air handler.

The 5' of the closet runs perpendicular to the heater and hot water tank. Both are on the 3' wall side by side.

No basement, my house is built on a slab. I have a shed that is several feet away from the house, no upstairs registers/return vents.

Quote Originally Posted by biomedlib View Post
    Thanks again for answering my post. I appreciate everyone's input

I have a First Co., Aquatherm Combo Heater with air handler.

The 5' of the closet runs perpendicular to the heater and hot water tank. Both are on the 3' wall side by side.

No basement, my house is built on a slab. I have a shed that is several feet away from the house, no upstairs registers/return vents.

No upstairs supplies or returns?? Well no wonder it's hot during the summer and cold during the winter.

I need a new Heat Pump as well can anyone recommend the best one to get?

www.furnacecompare.com/heat-pumps, this seems like a pretty good site but beware of the reviews that only have one posting. Carrier is a good system but with any Manufacturer there are bottom of the line and top of the line. If I was to go with Carrier I would buy the Infinity System, pricey but a very good piece of equipment. The only problem if I remember correctly is that the air handler would have to be replaced also as they have low voltage communication wiring as well as thermostat wiring, the condenser has to talk to the air handler. The coil or air handler in the 22 system should be replaced as the pressures in a 410 system are greater and designed for this. As for replacing the lineset there are flushing agents that that will clean these. Good Luck
    Last edited by Sten; 09-12-2011 at 10:01 AM. Reason: grammer