+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Porch Flooring

Default Porch Flooring

We have a beautiful porch with hardwood decking. We are in the process of sanding/refinishing it. However, we are having a touch time removing the old waxy varnish.

We are using a belt sander with a 80grit sandpaper and it actually gets so hot that the varnish starts to "gum up" and just spears onto the belt and wood. I go through a belt for just about each 2.5" X 10' board.

My questions is whether or not this can be avoided? Does anyone have any tips or tricks?

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Porch Flooring

Try using mineral spirit (paint thinner) and loosen with 0000 steel wool, then wipe with a rag.

I will try that...thank you! It's a pretty big area though; bout 400 sq ft.

Try 36 grit abrasive and low pressure to keep from melting the old paint. You will need to get up to 100 grit by steps to be able to get a decent paint finish.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Forget a belt sander especially with 80 grit. Go rent a floor sander preferably a random orbit sander with plenty of 20 grit sandpaper. You will need to keep the sander moving or as soon as the sander heats up the old varnish it will melt onto the sandpaper. It will still happen. When it does you can knock off the melted varnish with a sharp sc****r and continue. I've sanded plenty of porch floors and already faced this problem. The only other alternative is to remove the varnish with paint remover but it is messy and expensive. You can move from 20 grit to 36 grit with a sander and maybe to 60 grit but you are wasting money to go up to any more grits. The finer the grit the quicker the old varnish will melt onto the sandpaper. Home Depot rental centers have the Clarke Floor sander for very reasonable prices. I owned one for about 12 years I was using it so often.