+ Reply to Thread

Thread: gutter problem

Default gutter problem

not sure what is best use of gutters that are creating a fix every year.

Original home has 4 gutters that run down sides of house to drain pipes that sit flush to house and lead to a dry well.

existing porch was made into closed in sunroom. the gutter that ran straight down the side of the house is cut down to the new roof line on the sunroom addition. the water travels down the new roof line down the side of the sunroom, back over to the original drain pipe location that sits flush to home. when looking at the shape of it, it resembles a nubmer 5 without the top line. so the water travels down the roof, into the gutter runs down the side of house (where was cut short), then flows to the sunroom addition which tilts it away from house, then with an elbow goes back underlining the sunroom additin and into the drain pipe.

we were told to have this done but not sure if this pattern of water would create too much flow into one section of a gutter:

Instead of the roof line on the sunroom addition being tilted away from the house, have it tilt back to the house and put a gutter straingt along the side of home as it was originally. this time water travels in one straight line from the house roof, joins with the sunroom addition roof, they combine and go to drain pipe toghther.

My issue is which way is better? the new option seems like backup would occur where the two gutter meet. However the current situation calls for much water coming from elbow and always fixing it.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!
    Last edited by Myron711; 09-01-2011 at 10:26 PM.

Default Re: gutter problem

I would choose option 2.

Is it possible to just run the water down the side and use a standard kick-out and drain pan? The problem with option #2 is that if there is a problem and the line clogs, you now have water running down the side of the house and pooling at the foundation . Unless the grading doesn't allow for it, I would prefer to continue the original drain around the new roof line and go with surface drainage off the new roof.

Not sure I follow your roof line descriptions.

Option 1 sounds like the existing roof line and the new addition line are parallel, upper roof draining to lower roof. This is the optimal and if it were me I'd just extend the drain line down to the corner of the addition rather than snake the downspout as you've described, because you're right, that will be a leaking and clogging nightmare.

Option two sounds like you want to raise the outside wall so that you create a valley between the new and the old. If this is the case, then you definitely DO NOT want to do it this way. You are designing a leaking system into your house, and you do not want to do that.

The other way I'm reading this is that the addition is perpendicular to the existing gutter line and your option #2 is to slope the roof in the same direction as the existing roof so that the gutter is merely extended to accommodate the new roof. There would be nothing wrong with this scenario as it's done all the time. Downspouts do not need to be at the end of a gutter line to function properly. Whether or not it will withstand the load of the existing and new gutters demands will depend on the size of the downspout, the length of the gutter, and your typical rainfall amounts.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!