+ Reply to Thread

Default Dry Rot window seal

Does anyone remember the product use on this old house.used to harden the wood on dry rot window slash. Was used when replacing window slash / cut away outer slash and applied chemical to the remaining slash and made it like rock hard stop the dry rot. Was on the show about 2 months ago.

Default Re: Dry Rot window seal

There are several products. The typical product is a two part liquid epoxy that you mix together, wait a few minutes and then drip the epoxy into the rotted wood until it will not accept any more liquid. It will consolidate the wood. I've treated about 25 sashes this way and ten years later they are in great shape.
    Find it on the internet by typing in two part epoxy for wood.

It there are large portions rotted out get a can of Bondo from a auto parts store which is also a two part epoxy. Mix it together and then apply quickly and shape it. You have less then ten minutes to work with it. I used about five cans to rehab a decorative and functional railing on the 5th floor porch of my 100 year old apartment building. Three years later you can't tell the wood from the Bondo.