+ Reply to Thread

Default Deliberately freezine pipe to turn off water

On one of the shows, the guys displayed a device that will freeze a small section of a water pipe to turn off the water if you're not sure the vavle will hold. Does anyone know what that device is called or who sells it?

Default Re: Deliberately freezine pipe to turn off water

I remember being told about people using dry ice for the same purpose. The pipe could burst at the freeze point, though-especially copper.

There are various pipe freezing methods on the market.

But there may be an easier solution, where these methods won't be needed: Shut off the main, that directly controls the shut off valve that refuses to move.

Freezing dose work but there are many risks involved. The first is the pipe can break. You also run the risk that it can thaw out before you have installed the new valve, once that happens there is no way you can re-freeze moving water. If you are dealing with city water there should be a valve on the main. It will be under ground, the depth depends on you location. In many cases the water dept. will turn it off for you. If you on a well then just turn the pump off. In the 50+ years I have been in the plumbing business I have frozen maybe three lines, all were successful but these were anxious moments to say the least. We used dry ice.

John

We often freeze pipes and it does work well, however as has it has been pointed out, there are risks involved. I have used a kit and I have used dry ice both ways do work.

Do a search for "Pipe freezer" there are many available and there is a broad price range for the kits.
    Slow The Flow