+ Reply to Thread

Question Questions about End Table Plans

There was an end table in a TOH issue from last fall. I'm finally getting around to trying to build it and I have questions.

I can't post a link to the plans since this is my first post to TOH forums. So, if you do a search for "Side Table" the first link that comes up should be the plans to "How to Build a Side Table."

The legs have a parallel 5 deg cut. The crosspieces are also cut at opposing 5 deg angles. When they are put together according to the picture on step 2 the top will not sit flat on the legs/crosspiece. I have a drawing (if you can call what I did in mspaint a drawing) to illustrate, but again the board won't let me post a URL or a picture since this is my first post. Here's the URL to the pic, take the spaces out and put in a period instead of dot.

tinyurl dot com / 3knd37e

So, my question is how is it supposed to work? I've been putting the pieces together several different ways trying to figure it out and it just doesn't work.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: Questions about End Table Plans

To help you and the rest of your viewers out, here's the link to the plans and your image:
    How to Build a Side Table

Quote Originally Posted by Jackg View Post
    The legs have a parallel 5 deg cut. The crosspieces are also cut at opposing 5 deg angles. When they are put together according to the picture on step 2 the top will not sit flat on the legs/crosspiece. I have a drawing (if you can call what I did in mspaint a drawing) to illustrate,

So, my question is how is it supposed to work? I've been putting the pieces together several different ways trying to figure it out and it just doesn't work.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    If the stretcher (piece between the legs ) has the complimentary 5* angle to the legs, then the parallel cuts on the legs should result in a flat union between the top of the stretcher and the top of the legs, which should also put the foot of the leg flat on the floor. The goal is to create a parallelogram. If this isn't happening, then there is either a problem with your cuts or a problem with the description in the plans, which happens.

Now, because the legs get wider at the bottom than the top, that means that the flat edge along the top of the stretcher and legs will also be canted by 5* when the entire leg/stretcher system is assembled, resulting in what I suspect you're talking about. If this is the case and you want a flat base to rest the top onto, then you'll also have to have a 5* angle on the top edge of the stretchers and legs. This is all very hard to describe through the written word, but the jists of it is this, with 4 legs and stretchers perfectly vertical, you will have a flat top surface to rest the table top on. When you tilt the leg, you tilt the top edge of the leg in relation to the table top, to correct this you must also cut a complimentary 5* angle to create the level surface for the table top to rest on.
    Last edited by A. Spruce; 08-31-2011 at 03:44 PM.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    If you also provide me with the link to the plans I'll post it for you as well.
    Thanks for posting the image. Here's the link to the plans.

tinyurl dot com/43zj7ck

I'll read through your post again once I get my caffeine level at a respectable level for the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Spruce View Post
    If this isn't happening, then there is either a problem with your cuts or a problem with the description in the plans, which happens.
    That's what I'm trying to solve. Whether I made the mistake or the plans are wrong.

Currently, the legs have parallel 5* cuts on each end so they lean and the top is flat when placed on end.

The stretchers (called crosspieces in the plans) have a 5* cut on each end as well but are opposing so they are not parallel.

From the picture in the plans it looks as if the table legs are placed so they are canted out to the side of the table. When the stretcher is put in that cants the legs so they are also at an angle front to rear. Because of this the legs are not flat on top or bottom.

Unfortunately, this is my first foray into building "real furniture" so I'm not sure what a good resolution is. I'm not sure if there is a standard for this style of table or not. So, any solutions/suggestions would be most welcome.

Let me know what other information I can provide. It is difficult to put this into words.

p.s. The url for the plans is tinyurl dot com/43zj7ck

Looking down on the table leg system from the top, it forms a "cone" shape, which will require compound angle cuts to the top and bottom of the leg for them to sit flush to the floor and table top. Because the faces of the legs remain on the same plane to each other, the cross pieces and skirts only require a single 5* bevel.

Now, because each side of the skirt is angled, the resulting top of the frame is not going to sit flush on the table top, only the outside edge will contact the top. This isn't a big deal, the gap will be to the back and unseen. If you'd rather have a flush fit, then you'd have to cut 5* bevels to the top edge of the pieces under the table top.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Thanks! Now to find a scrap of the leg to do some test cuts on.

Good luck. Post back and let me know how it goes.

The end table is built! I got some time over the weekend and finished putting it together. Had a couple other odd things that I worked through, nothing big. Cutting the top and bottom of the legs at a compound angle took care of the original issue. Now to put a coat of sanding sealer on and paint it. There are definitely some things that I'll do differently next time. The next one I have change dimensions to be rectangular to fit in the space we want it in.

I'll throw a picture on when it's completely done.

Kept forgetting to get a pic. Now to move on to table #2.

Here it is:

//i30.photobucket.com/albums/c308/jack_graber/Stuff/IMG_324250.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jackg View Post
    Kept forgetting to get a pic. Now to move on to table #2.

Here it is:

//i30.photobucket.com/albums/c308/jack_graber/Stuff/IMG_324250.jpg
    I'll be darned, looks like an end table!

Here, let me give you a hand with that ...