+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bump out window

Default Bump out window

I am installing 2 side by side double hung windows and wish to bump them out by 8". The 8" walls on either side will be solid. I would like some suggestions on how to frame the bump out. The total R. O. is 72' by 56". I live in MA so insulation would be important. I am thinking of using hangers and extending 8" long 2x6 from the existing wall as the base, then covering with 3/4 plywood. Appreciate any advice.

Default Re: Bump out window

so you want to create a deeper wall space via cantilever?
    if i understand what your trying to do correctly i would build that portion of hte wall with larger 2x stock via. 2x12

post a picture of what you plan on doing by showing what you have now and do up a sketch
    fire up the saw and make some dust

Is this what your trying to accomplish ???

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...48273144EDvCmx
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks for the reply's by jkirk and gizmo. What I am trying to accomplish is a window similair to that in the link provided by gizmo. The picture of the window in the link shows the finished product but not the framing under it. As jkirk said, perhaps a 2x12 could extend out over the current RO and serve as the platform for the new RO 8" from the exterior wall. It would seem that this would adequately support the new window. Any other help would be appreciated.

Bill

Box it out with plywood fins (3/4 ply) that are nailed into the broad face of the studs of the opening. The fin stabilizes the whole unit and makes it impossible to sag. You screw the bumpout framing into the fin, and it's perfectly cantilevered. It's good up to a 12" bay, beyond that you need brackets underneath.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombreuil_mongrel View Post
    Box it out with plywood fins (3/4 ply) that are nailed into the broad face of the studs of the opening. The fin stabilizes the whole unit and makes it impossible to sag. You screw the bumpout framing into the fin, and it's perfectly cantilevered. It's good up to a 12" bay, beyond that you need brackets underneath.
    Casey
    Im with Casey on this one. What he is talking about is Gusset Fins tied into the cripples/jack studs...Am I corret Casey same page ?..this way everything wil be tied in together and wont sag......
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Im with Casey on this one. What he is talking about is Gusset Fins tied into the cripples/jack studs...Am I corret Casey same page ?..this way everything wil be tied in together and wont sag......
    Yeppers. It also excludes drafts.
    The hard thing will be finding kings studs that are free of twist. It's also hard that you start with the finished RO (for the windows) and work backward to find the RO for the fin assembly. Drawing a full-size story pole is probably wise. Allow an extra 1/16" for every 1.5" framing member, because 1.5 + 1.5 doesn't equal 3 when nailing 2x4's together in large stacks. You don't want to end up with a stingy window RO and end up planing down the jacks. BTDT
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Thanks for all the input, it's helped a lot

Bill