+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Condensation pump upgrade needed

I recently upgraded my house hot air heating system humidifier from a wheel type that dips into a water basin to a new style called Aprilaire that just pours water over the face of media.
    My concern is the condensation pump that was once used for just over flows from the reservoir is now getting 2 gals a min pumped into it from the humidifier. The pump has about a 1/2 gal tank and seems to short cycle and run on and off the whole time the furnace is running/ every time the furnace is running, I'm afraid it's not going to last & burn out in service.
    I recently bought a Little Giant 1 gal condensation pump,
    This is a much faster (violent) pump and seems to be over kill and not the solution I was looking for. This takes longer to fill but then empties in 10 sec's and starts again.Still cycles a lot per every furnace cycle.

I am looking for a large reservoir 1 - 2 gal slow gentle pump like the 1/2 gal pump so that it won't cycle 5 times to every one cycle time of the furnace.

Default Re: Condensation pump upgrade needed

Are you also running the humidifier now in non heat season ?

Do you have a floor drain you run the drain tube directly to ?
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

It sounds like your wasting a lot of water. You should have a valve at the incoming water line to your condensate pump, I'd adjust it down a bit. In the heating season you want the media always wet but I think yours is overkill.

1) No I don't run the Humidifier in summer, but I have a Air Conditioner that uses the same pump in the summer.

2)I do have a sink & floor drain across the basement which the current pump goes to.
    Using gravity would require me going across a isle way, that's why I pump up to ceiling and over to the sink now.

I like the quiet low volume of the current condensation pump would like it to have at least a gal reservoir though so the pump would run longer and less frequent

Quote Originally Posted by canuk View Post
    Are you also running the humidifier now in non heat season ?

Do you have a floor drain you run the drain tube directly to ?

There are pumps that have a shallow reservoir as well as ones with a deep reservoir. The reason they make shallow pump reservoir is that you may have less room, if you have room for one with a deep reservoir by all means change it.