+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leaning Garage

Unhappy Leaning Garage

I have an old garage that is leaning and I am desperatly needing to sell my home to move nearer to elderly parents. The bottoms of several wall studs have termite damage. This is old damage and I have had the house inspected several times over the last 8 years ands there is no evidence of termites any longer. The walls themselves are solid wood and the roof also appears to be solid and does not leak. It appears they only attacked the studs. As a result of the lack of support in the lower studs, the garage is leaning.
    I am not in a financial position to redo the garage or have it pulled back. Before going that expense I would like to try an alternative to sell the house.
    Is it possible to jack up the side of the house a couple of inches, and install new stud supports. There is a horizontal support along the walls about 5-6 ft. up. I was thinking of using 2-3 jacks to jack up the wall ( at this horizontal support)and then add the new lower supports. Does this make any sense? The garage sets on a concrete slab. Do I need to do something with the concrete since I can see outside the garage at the floor level. I am looking to make a visual repair as well as make it safer and last longer without continuing to lean. I already have the 2x4's. What should I use to add the supports? Can I nail them together or do I have to use bolts? Is there a screw that should be used? I also have a large beam about 2x8 or so. Should I use this as a cross brace somewhere? How would I do that?
    Is there a better answer w/o going into a huge expense that I will not recoup but will make it more stable and sell better.
    I am a 55 yr. old woman who has already done extensive remodeling on my own and this is the last project. Help me if you can.

Default Re: Leaning Garage

Howdy, had to jack up my 105 year old carrage barn- garage to replace the worn out sill plates (2" by 4"bottom boards that sit on the floor of the walls). I got some 6"by6" by8" posts that were treated wood and held up the roof while i installed the new sill 8' at a time. I hoisted one post/beam onto two basement jacks and screwd the jacks up perpindiculare to the ceiling rafters about 1 foot from the inside wall until the wall leveled up and then cut out the rott and installed the new 8' sill then moved on and did it again till i had it all done . Worked real good. Is your garage detached? It is more difficult if attached to the house. The basement foundation jacks took the load of the roof off the wall while i repaired the sill. I used # 8 galvinized nails to toe nail the studs to the new plates.

Timothy- thanks for the advice. Sounds do-able and within my cost range. My sills are pretty much shot also. Sounds like something I can do with a bit of help and worth doing before I put the house on the market. And Yahoo, the garage is detached.

Howdy, your welcome. Oh if you use a "sawsall" it will make cutting threw the studs and the sill so easy... You can rent them and use the longer blades. My sawsall is my most favorite tool. Cannot seem to wear it out they cut just about anything-its a milwaulke...

First I would like to thank you in advance should you find the time to read this and respond. I am desperatly trying to move to be near my parents who will need my help and do not have the funds to re-build. I have been continually researching this project because the bank will cite me if I try and sell the house so I have to fix it to sell it. I have to fix both the matter of the garage leaning and fix the sill plates. I found what appears to be a useful site that addresses both issues. I have them on a cd I could send to you if you would like to see them.

My first question is: should I fix the leaning garage with winching first and then fix the sill with the jacks? I do have someone that will help and has experience but I am a pretty cautious person when it comes to big projects and someone is helping me with a tremendously discounted price due to friendship and may be tempted to cut corners. Geeesh.
    Though the site I am looking at suggests winching using corner supports and is winching from front to back I am trying to straighten the garage from side to side.

I have had a suggestion also of using the jacks as you described and winching the garage from the side and also from the front. The jacks would be placed on the opposite side and the back. Fortunatly I have large pine trees that are placed in the perfect positions on both side and front for this.

Please note that hte studs on the side have rotted on the bottoms but on the back there are 3 studs that are missing about 3 ft. up from the bottom. This is why I would want to jack up the back also. I'm thinkng that this would help prevent it from leaning backwards as I wicnh it form the side and that the front winch would provide the extra support for that. I understand the process he is using to stabalize the corners prior to doing any of this.

I apologize for the length of this and I would greatly appreciate any assistance you may give.
    Last edited by dlh3354; 04-08-2009 at 10:47 AM. Reason: spelling

Hi again my old carriage barn/ garage had sides bowing out from the rotten studs- when i started. By putting the beam up on two basement jacks and slowly screwing the jacks up lilted and straightened the walls. I too had some bad root. So in areas where the studs had rotted allot i sister ed in a new stud, nailed the new stud to the old to stabilize the old one and bear the weight. As i did this on one side then the other then the end the structure righted itself with my help.

Once more time for my jittery nerves. I am pouring an exension to my garage slab where the studs were resting on a rotted sill on the ground. No problem there. After carefully measuring all around the lean is to the side 3" and does not appear to be leaning back as I had thought. I have someone who feels that if he puts 3,4or5 16 foot boards leaning from the botttom of one wall to the top of the opposite wall that they can be wihched down and the lean will correct. Does this sound feasible? I plan to lightly jack up the left wall (needs to lean to the right) at both corners to allow for a free flow lean and hopefully eliminate stress on the old wood. All I read says to use a winch puller on the walls but you seemed to think that it is not necessarily needed. What do you think about the above idea. I will then sister all the studs on new sills and apply the plywood support. I am concerned about the board set-up he is proposing. Says he has done it before but I always err on the side of caution before I start. Sory to be so OCD. Just the way I'm built.