+ Reply to Thread

Default Standard Brick over concrete porch

I'll do my best to explain this:

I have a covered front porch with four colonial pillars. We recently poured a new concrete pad which sits on a foundation wall and we left space for it to be wrapped with brick. I would like to use the same brick, laying face up, on top of the concrete giving the look of a full brick porch. Can the brick:
    - Be laid directly on the concrete
    - If not, Would I need to add a layer of sand
    - Would it be best to set it in concrete or mortar

The concrete is pitched away from the house. The brick that I am using has three bore holes.

Default Re: Standard Brick over concrete porch

Quote Originally Posted by Chitown View Post
    I'll do my best to explain this:

I have a covered front porch with four colonial pillars. We recently poured a new concrete pad which sits on a foundation wall and we left space for it to be wrapped with brick. I would like to use the same brick, laying face up, on top of the concrete giving the look of a full brick porch. Can the brick:
    - Be laid directly on the concrete
    - If not, Would I need to add a layer of sand
    - Would it be best to set it in concrete or mortar

The concrete is pitched away from the house. The brick that I am using has three bore holes.
    Use pavers. Better yet, use the thin variety, 1 1/4" thick. Remove the pillars and support the porch on shoring. After the floor is grouted, trim the columns to fit the new height. You should lay the pavers in mortar; grout them as a second step.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

Pavers are an option but being I want to use the same brick I used building the house (size and color) I would like to see if there is a process.

Did you reinforce the concrete? Is the concrete sitting on a solid foundation?

Depending on your answers, you can lay the bricks (wet them first) on the concrete with mortar or thinset (must be less than 1/4" thick). If you slope them, now is the time to make sure you have your desired slope. Avoid high/low spots.

Sand would be fine for walkways and small patios.

If you pave with full brick on edge you are raising the height of the porch deck 4.5", this is usually more than the typical step up into the house.
    And obviously it uses more material, because the wall face of a brick covers fewer square inches than the flat face. You'll be handling half again as many brick as you would pavers, also half again as much grout joints to fill. Neatly. So be prepared to be looking at a lot of mortar as opposed to brick, just on a visual basis.
    Casey
    Remove not the ancient landmark, which your fathers have set.

S_M,

Of course bricks (up or sideway) can only be laid down if there is enough clearance, taking into consideration the finished height. At least this is what we assume.

If the poster has his mind set up on this particular style brick, any additional materials would not mean much to him.

Your user name indicates that you live in a northern city where water has been known to freeze from time to time, so the answer to your question is no. You have to use pavers, the brick will absorb too much water and when it freezes, it will shatter.

True I live in the Chicagoland area. When I poured the slab, which is sitting on a foundation on all sides and reinforced, I figured for brick so the high of a step has been calculated.
    As to the freeze issue: That is one of my concerns. The porch (Aprx 24' x 7') is covered however there are obviously times when snow may blow on to it. It is full southern exposure. The plus is we are going for an old looking porch so I am not too concerned if some of the brick sliver or have some face-pop. My initial thought was if I were to set directly on the slab or on sand/dust/crushed stone, if there is an issue with some they can be replaced rather easily. Also the only ones I would truly anchor down would be the soldier course the will extend 1" over the sides.
    The only traffic on the porch is the path to the door with is not too often being most come through the side-load garage.
    I also plan on using a high-end sealer as often as needed.

Hopefully that helps to answer the question(s).

disregard the soldier course ref

Has anyone done this out there?