+ Reply to Thread

Default To glue or not to glue composite decking

I am about to lay my composite decking on PT framing. I have seen on a couple of other sites a recomendation that in addition to the manufactures hidden fastener system, to use an exterior rated construction adhesive. I can't find mention of using an adhesive on the TOH videos or in the manufactures instructions. Would this be over kill and a waste of time? What do you deck builders use?

Default Re: To glue or not to glue composite decking

Unless you are using KDAT / kiln dried lumber, the PT wood will be too wet for any glue to adhere.

Liquid nails gets rubbery soft when it gets wet.

Just sayin...

i dont glue my decking down to the framing theres no point. i simply rely on the fasteners. now if i have to make a custom width peice of decking for the stair nosing because of odd jogs throwing off the courses of decking i will use a compatible pvc glue for the decking itself to be glued together and pocket hole screws.. same goes for mitres on a picutre framed deck
    fire up the saw and make some dust

That's right, no glue needed if you use the right deck screws for composite and space them correctly.

exactly, the only time i glue a floor is for floor plywood for a new house or addition.. along with repairing subfloors when we cut them up for bathroom renos

deck floors shouldnt squeak, nor be worried about. its the interior you glue and screw
    fire up the saw and make some dust