+ Reply to Thread

Default Drywall Bump - Please HELP

I just had my basement boarded with drywall along with 2" dow foam board insulation. Boarding was good and level. However, paint contractor did a extremely poor job in mudding the wall. After painting all bumps showed up wherever two boards meet. Is there any simple solution to make those joints appear smooth. It looks terrible after spending a good amount of money. By the way, I tried to attach an image file...though format and size both are correct I still can not upload it. I'm running out of money and looking for a simple solution which is not too labor intensive. Your assistance in this regard will be highly appreciated.

Please Help! Help!

Default Re: Drywall Bump - Please HELP

So you want to fix this cheap and fast?

If the wall has already been painted, sanding the wall will be a huge PITA. The better thing to do from here is to pick option A or B

Option A

1- Lightly sand the walls on both sides of the hump.
    2- Thin down some pre-mixed drywall compound with a little water being careful not to whip air into the mixture.
    3- Float the hump with a 14 or 16 inch tapered trowel (or drywall knife) to make the humps far less noticeable. This may require several very thin applications, but will reduce the sanding and won't take but a few minutes each day for a week or so, depending how good you are with a trowel. Each successive layer will take less time.
    4- When the wall is floated as desired, wet sand the area lightly with a dampened, closed cell, tiling sponge. OR you can dry sand as usual and vacuum the dust away.
    5- Prime with zinsser oil based primer that dries in 1 hour
    6- Paint the entire wall the finished coat 2x

Option B

1- Dim the lights
    2- Place curtains, hang tapestries, art work and family photos over the seams.

I'll go for option B. No, just kidding.

Being able to do a good drywall job is truly a gift, and unfortunately not all painters or drywallers possess that ability.

Now you are facing a correction job that needs skills to. Especially with sanding, applying mud, sanding, applying mud, sanding, applying mud - until it's perfect.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. First please excuse my ignorance. I know I'm asking for too much. The painter did the job when we were out of the house for a week due to a family emergency. Unfortunately, I paid him full in advance and no recourse at this point. I hate sanding like anyone else. I was wondering is there any chemical or special mechanical tool I can use to smooth the surface. If necessary, I can paint the wall myself. It looks so horrible I may have done a better job in mudding just using DIY video than this painter.

Your help in this matter will be highly appreciated. You can also send an e-mail at zazel03@yahoo.com.

You can use any sort of power sander you'd like but it will be very messy and not very precise. Start with something very slow speed.

Every once in a while I see a new drywall sanding product on the market, sometimes I fall into the trap and buy them, but very quickly I come back to the old way of hand sanding...

Sanding makes picking strawberries in 100F degrees - look easy.

But, you got to do what you got to do. Don't rush to paint, finish the sanding first.

Next time don't go on vacation while you have workers in your house.

Thanks for the replies but please also share if you think of anymore innovative ideas to solve this problem

Really, the only way to fix a bad drywall joint is to remove all the tape and mud and do it over again.

You can kind of hide it by adding more mud, thin in the middle, thicker halfway to the edges, thinning out at the edges to make the bump have less slope. Sheetrock mudding is an art form and unless you are a sheetrocking prodigy, you're not an artist until you've done a million square feet. (I haven't even done a thousand square feet.)

You can reduce the visibility of the problem by making sure there are no lights on or near the wall which can cast long shadows along the wall. With a light source close to the wall, any irregularities will be highlighted by their long shadows.

On the other hand, you might be able to wash the wall with light (track or cans), making sure the lights are at least three feet away from the wall. (This should be an easy experiment.) Installing wallpaper with a pronounced pattern will also minimize the appearance of irregularities.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.