+ Reply to Thread

Default Install overhead door on shed with treated lumber floor versus concrete

I'd like to build a shed in my back yard but would prefer to build it on top of a treated lumber floor versus a concrete floor. I live in New Hampshire where the weather can be severe. My preference would be to install a 6' overhead door on the shed to allow easy access with my riding lawnmower but am concerned about the durability and/or damage to the exposed treated floor. Is it advised to do something like this, and if so, what are some recommendations to protect the exposed portion of the treated flooring?

Default Re: Install overhead door on shed with treated lumber floor versus concrete

A treated wood for a shed floor, that is going to get wet, full of mud, and carry some weight (mower, garden equipment, tools and other stuff) is not the best choice. If you were using the shed for storage, maybe.

Concrete would be better, and you can build the shed with the same quality construction as a garage, to withstand sever weather conditions, complete with anchor bolts, 2x4 studs, 2x6 rafters, etc. etc.

Then an overhang sectional door will be no problem. Ramp - no problem. Exposed floor - no problem.

I've built more than a few of those in my life. They're still standing.

Default Re: Install overhead door on shed with treated lumber floor versus concrete

go with the concrete, it will hold up far longer than the floor

i dont know how many sheds ive seen where the floor was wood with a large door which let water in only to get a call for how much it would cost to replace the floor but keep the walls and roof....

do it right the first time
    fire up the saw and make some dust

jkirk...
    let me hold the walls and the roof while you're replacing the floor.

Just do it right. You might even install a shallow trench footer and a short curb as a foundation for the shed.

A reinforced concrete slab done corretly will last literally hundreded of years and outlast the building. A wood floor might last 20 year at best.
    1925 Two-Story Stucco Beaux Arts Neoclassical

dont joke about that dj.... the shed my old man built back in the 70's needs the floor replaced,, hes trying to talk me into doing. not gonna happen
    fire up the saw and make some dust

i have a shed built in 1961 with a wood 2by6 tong and grove treated floor and it is as good today as it was the day it was built??? I want to install a over head door in it. It is 8 by 10 building bob pfeiffer. Lincoln il