+ Reply to Thread

Post Old windows - what to do?

We want to replace 4 old double-hung pine windows (sash-weight type, with wood storms) with energy efficient ones. We want double-glazed low-E, with wood on the inside and vinyl on the outside. Contractors tell me there are no replacement windows with wood inside. They say new windows can't work because the siding is 1950's aluminum, impossible to remove intact or find replacement for.

I'm considering replacing the storm windows with vinyl and refinishing the sashes and sills inside.

First, do you know a way to install new windows in old aluminum siding?

Second, in vinyl storms, do you like solid (no screen), double track, or triple track?

Other ideas?

Thanks.

Default Re: Old windows - what to do?

Hello, Look into Pella "Precision Fit" Replacement windows. They are aluminum exterior and solid pine interior for stain or paint. Very easy to install, well made, low-e argon with screen. I have installed thousands of these and they are a great window! No storms needed with these. Hope this helps.
    Hidden Content GregC, President/Founder of Hidden Content

Default Re: Old windows - what to do?

as long as you get a correct "brick to brick" measurement taken the new window will fit exactly teh same as teh old to the siding,, the rough opening will need to be padded in a little bit as the materials wont be as hefty as old window frames
    fire up the saw and make some dust