+ Reply to Thread

Default Remove bricks to repair faucet?

I have a leaking exterior faucet. I called a plumber and he told me that if it was a "sweat on" faucet it would be no trouble to fix but if it was a "screw on freeze proof" faucet it would require removing bricks from the house to fix. Does this seem reasonable?

I searched for the answer to this question and couldn't find it in previous posts.

Fayette County, Ohio

Default Re: Remove bricks to repair faucet?

If it is a "screw on freeze proof" it can be a problem with added veneer brick. When the Brick is installed they usually put it right up to the spigot and fill the rest of the opening with mortar. The freeze proof crew type are larger on the inside end than the stem.Sometimes it only require chipping out mortar. When I replaced one for my SIL a sawed the end off so I could slid it out then had to chip out mortar and part of the bricks to install a new one. She had already bought a new screw on type. The plumber may be able to cut the end off of yours and slide it out and slide in a soldered unit but it would also require redoing the plumbing inside.

Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb