+ Reply to Thread

Default Poured/troweled concrete over laminate countertops?

Hello,
    New member here. I'd like to do a concrete overlay on my existing laminate countertops, but have read bad reviews of Skimstone and Rustoleum. There are lots of tutorials for pouring new concrete counters, using molds, but my existing laminate is in good shape and the SO will never go for removing it/building forms.

Can someone please point me to directions for skimcoating with concrete? Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Default Re: Poured/troweled concrete over laminate countertops?

I doubt if skimming p.lam. with anything would turn out well. What would you do with the edges. Many counters especially at L's are pieced together. Any movement would crack a skim coat. With all the work involved to end up with a result less than satisfactory that will require a new counter anyway, why not set a hot pan on the counter and ruin it, then get a new top made of a material of your choice. My intent is not to discourage a first time poster from home improvement, just my opinion.

Default Re: Poured/troweled concrete over laminate countertops?

Thanks, Ed. There are no L-shaped pieces to worry about and I'm good about using trivets and cutting boards. Believe me, if I could replace it I would!