+ Reply to Thread

Default bonding 2x4s to an aluminum fence

I have an ugly solid white aluminum fence glaring down at my courtyard, and I am going to build a latticework fence in front of it that will eventually be covered with vines. I plan to attach 4x8-foot lattice panels to 2x4x8s--with the "ribs" bonded to the old metal fence, not sunk in the ground. The question is, how do I do this? Thank you.

Default Re: bonding 2x4s to an aluminum fence

My first question would be whose fence is it? You might not be entitled to fasten onto your neighbors fence. It nothing else, it is on his property. I would certainly get his OK first.

If the fence is utilizing tubular steel posts , as chain link fences do, there are fasteners that wrap around the post and a wooden 2x4 could be attached to the existing fence post with them. Your fence could be then built off them, or the 2x4 could be integrated as part of the fence framing.

It the aluminum fence utilzes square stock posts, simply screw into the posts to anchor your 2x4'

Thank you for the advice, ordjen. It is my fence. I can't wrap anything around a post because the fence is a solid sheet of metal. Are self-tapping screws my best bet?

I don't se anything wrong with self-tapping screws. I would try to track down stainless screws, if possible. Will protruding screws on the other side present a danger to passer-bys? If so, you might want to dull down the point.

OR attach 2x4's to the front, screwing through the backside of the white aluminum panel, and then screw the lattice work to the 2x4s leaving no danger of protruding tips on the other side. You could fasten from the front initially at either end to hold it in place and then screw it from behind if you need a way to hold one side while you fasten from the other.

Quote Originally Posted by ordjen View Post
    I don't se anything wrong with self-tapping screws. I would try to track down stainless screws, if possible. Will protruding screws on the other side present a danger to passer-bys? If so, you might want to dull down the point.